• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why I love My Macintosh

Rodi

The Bad news first, my old G3 power supply died. Cost 49-60 U.S. Good News, Ebay 71.00 US for a whole used G3, with same ram and better video card.
My issue, I have lots of old software, one especially, which I lost the disk, and I am pretty sure I'll never see it anywhere… All I had to do was swap out Hard Drives, pull out a SCSI card and put my other one in, and the computer was up and running in less than 90 minutes from unpacking!

Try that with a PC!

choucove

I know this is off subject, but does it count that I just built a new PC (literally from installing the processors and motherboard into the case to installing Windows XP to installing chipset drivers) in less than two hours?

The key to all of this is having uniform system drivers. Since it's going from one computer to literally the same type of computer, it's not that hard. All the drivers are already installed on your hard drive. This is the reason why large computer labs or corporations aim to uniform their platforms as much as possible: You only have one computer setup to get drivers for, test compatibilities, etc. And just the same, if a computer tower goes down and you absolutely have to have the hard drive from that tower, just pull it out and install in the tower beside it. Takes five minutes usually. This same thing can be done as well with any uniform system be it Mac or PC and it really can make things very nice, and may be one reason to purchase complete systems from companies like Dell or HP, because replacing them with an exact duplicate for ease of "getting the system running" is a lot easier than if you custom built the system.

jiarby

RISC processors vs CISC...

another take...

If that Mac were as inexpensive as PC's you wouldn't have to retread your G3! You could afford a new one!

Rodi

Jiraby,
I use no less than 4 programs that are old and not updated from the early to mid 90's (Live Picture, LetraStudio, FontStudio, DS SCREEN 1030ai scanner software and the amazing Pixar Typestry (with tons of Looks and Glimpse and MacRenderman and LinoColor for my flatbed), and the "new" computer was 71 clams with shipping and 384mb of Ram! Plus I got a decade of use, real use out of my other one and the side door was off for 2 years and front panels off for just as long. Any PC 10 years old, I'd think would not be used on that level for that long. I'm running the original system software 8.1, runs like a dream! I do have it as a dual boot ith 9.22.
I use a G5 Imac, only 17 inch monitor, so Rick, I can only imagine!

particleman

The Bad news first, my old G3 power supply died. Cost 49-60 U.S. Good News, Ebay 71.00 US for a whole used G3, with same ram and better video card.
My issue, I have lots of old software, one especially, which I lost the disk, and I am pretty sure I'll never see it anywhere… All I had to do was swap out Hard Drives, pull out a SCSI card and put my other one in, and the computer was up and running in less than 90 minutes from unpacking!

Try that with a PC!

Hardware wise mac vs pc debate is over; it's all essentially the same these days when you consider architecture. Windows VS OSX is the current debate, but anyhow what you did works exactly the same on a pc of the same hardware! Nothing magically about swapping hard drives. In fact if you know what you're doing you can do a HD swap on completely different hardware without reinstalling windows.

If you're running a G3, I would consider an upgrade, much much faster machines out there now. Even a used G5 would be a considerable upgrade.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Jiraby,
I use no less than 4 programs that are old and not updated from the early to mid 90's (Live Picture, LetraStudio, FontStudio, DS SCREEN 1030ai scanner software and the amazing Pixar Typestry (with tons of Looks and Glimpse and MacRenderman and LinoColor for my flatbed), and the "new" computer was 71 clams with shipping and 384mb of Ram! Plus I got a decade of use, real use out of my other one and the side door was off for 2 years and front panels off for just as long. Any PC 10 years old, I'd think would not be used on that level for that long. I'm running the original system software 8.1, runs like a dream! I do have it as a dual boot ith 9.22.
I use a G5 Imac, only 17 inch monitor, so Rick, I can only imagine!

My old display was 17" I almost talked myself out of it, it makes a huge difference and have not had the usual buyers regret I usually get.

Ken

Do you want Euro-dollars or $US?
Do you want PC or Mac..?
Inevitably..it will be PC....the allowance of PC software into the Mac World proves that....VCR or DVD?
BlueRay or?
It really all has to come together..big business has shown that...holding on to the Mac..well..you're holding on to a Mac...
From an old Commodore 64 user...get with it!
Cheers!
Ken

OldPaint

another "iam better you are" from rodi...typical mac owner))))))
and i got a pc here...i built it myself, 4-5 yrs ago, side door has been off forever, i have 4 HARD DRIVES I SWAP on the SLAVE IDE CABLE....and iam so good as is my pc, i can go into the BIOS at any time and reset CPU CLOCK from the 2.1 AMD it is, to run it as a 2.8 if i wish for more speed. iam running a GFORCE 256meg vid card, has a TV CARD, 2 LPT PORTS..for older ROLANDS ......and a lan card....AND STILL HAVE EXPANSION SLOTS AVAILABLE.
for all i do with COREL X3 main running program(its so good dont need much else) AND XP SP1 seems to give me no problems...why would i want a mac????
and i got a19" wide screen LCD.....would like a 22")))))))