• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why is Print Quality so low?

tomence

I have my heaters at 106 and 122 all the time and have no problems printing on any Oracal vinyl.

DizzyMarkus

I have a SP-300v and have this issue on 1 paticular shade of yellow --it would have small red dots showing using the oracal 651 profile-- I have no issues with any but that color --I currently run 105 print and 115 dryer

Markus

NickerStickers

We get good results using the correct the color profile when we create the design. I use CorelDrawX5 with the Roland color swatches and get the very best colors without the dotting. If we use the wrong color profile, we don't get as clean a print, especially on greens and yellows.

We NEVER turn the heat above 50 as it creates buckling in the media which can hit and damage the heads. Too high of heat can also dry too fast and ruin your print.

Last, if you cannot change the color in the creation of the image, you can change it during the print by adjusting your ink limits in Versaworks. You will need to play with these to figure the right adjustment to get a solid color without bleeding, but it can be a good solution. That's what we do for ready-made logos we receive that do not have the right spot colors for a perfect print.

MikeD

I agree with FrankW's & genericname's assessment above.
One other idea to keep in mind is that most large format printers were engineered to output signage that will ultimately be viewed from at least 5ft away.

The graininess tends to be more evident in lighter colors, so if you have creative freedom for those files you may want to change the colors.
Printing in CMYLcLmK may improve it as well.

When making perforated vinyl window decals, our printers almost run in draft mode, and the output is good- when making small, detailed prints like yours, the pass count is much higher, the resolution is higher, the ink levels are slightly higher and the print mode is unidirectional.

Good Luck!