• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why is x5 so cheap on ebay?

J

john1

Hey guys, Any idea if the copies of x5 for under $100 on eBay are legit or not?

Just found out i can't upgrade to X5 or X6 since i have a OEM not for resale version of X4 :(

The copies on eBay say they don't come with the original packaging so it has me wondering if it's a cracked copy or not.

Reason i am wanting the X5/X6 is due to the contour radius feature that X4 doesn't have which i use a lot when using the trial of X6 this past month for print/cut jobs.

Thanks!

Tigertron

Without original packaging seems fishy. You can get an educational version for $100 or so but it is not for commercial use and comes with no support. You also may have to verify student status.

visual800

I bought one. I dont use corel but sometimes I get their files so I bought one to open and convert. Ive used it a couple of times and thats it. works absoltuely fine. no documentation or nothing came with it

96XP

Hmm, had a similar experience on eBay a few years back. No packaging, no booklets, and the label looked as though it came from a home printer. Then the seller vanished. (mibs)

visual800

mine came in a cd holder with all art and logos on it i didnt inspect but it appeared to be legit but since i bought it for the reason i did I really didnt care. who knows some items in it may not work right

CES020

You get what you pay for. If you want to take the risk, be ready to come back and say you had an issue. Use some logic here. If it's far less than normal retail, ask yourself why, or how. If you can't answer those, then, do it at your own risk.

I think Jill bought a copy like this and ended up with issues if I recall correctly.

Buyer beware.

lexsigns

I think it depends on what you need it for- If it is your main program for cutting/printing I would invest in a current legit version from Corel directly ( or reseller)

I use Signlab for production and have invest in staying current. as for Corel-
I got one on ebay for 89 its educational version- fine w/ me since I really just import and export. Not sure if its upgradeable or not. if and when I learn to use it and love it I will invest in a current version direct from Corel.

Jillbeans

Yup...mine was an OEM too.
Luckily I was able to return it (it was from Amazon)
I bought X5 via Corel.
Love....Jill

J

john1

I am in no way wanting to buy pirated copies so i take those ones that are like $100 on eBay are pirated?

CES020

I think most of them are OEM versions with have some serious issues when relating to certain things. I bought one from a guy I knew. He had bought it and not used it and I needed one more seat for a piece of equipment. Turns out, it was OEM and the OEM limitation kept me from actually sending the file from Corel to my plotter. I got a new seat, full version, and it worked perfectly. I found out that it was the OEM part that was preventing me from using it on how I needed to use it.

Many people on ebay selling that stuff aren't educated enough to even know if it's an OEM version.

Like I said earlier, if it's a $100 and everyone else is $200, then red flags should be going off all over the place.

DrCAS

Just as a heads up...

For those that buy Educational copies of software, be advised that if you do get caught you can be subject to fines and such.

A colleague of mine was caught during an inspection by the BSA (Business Software Alliance) and fined for having Educational versions of CS4 and Microsoft Office being used in a commercial enterprise.

I was surprised that they could do this. It seems that they had a disgruntled ex-employee who reported them for all kinds of stuff that actually turned out to be mostly baseless. Go figure.

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

Educational version of CS is ligit for commercial use. Even upgradable. Not Corel though. My son has both.

Yep. I was just at Office Max while Alicia was getting office supplies for her work and being the software junkie that I am I was over there. All their Adobe and Corel software at the store were student/teacher editions. I didn't see any stipulation on the Adobe, you just had to show proof that you are a student/teacher before they would send you a key. I didn't see that on the Corel one, but it did stipulate that you couldn't use it for commercial use.

royster13

If you have any previous version of Corel Draw (even OEM), if you contact Corel you can buy the upgrade for 199.00.....Both myself and at least 1 other member has been able to do this....You might have to beg and grovel a bit but it is worth it....

Last edited:

Techman

I was surprised that they could do this.

They cannot. They are only able to do that if you allow them to do so. The B S @ not a law enforcement agency of any kind. They will send out threatening and disturbing letters. However, once in the door they greatly extend the scope of their "audit". And then will demand proof of purchase that is designed for you to fail. A mere receipt is not proof enough. Do not allow them to set the terms. You answer to them with : I am in compliance" And then makes sure you are. You set a date to suit your needs if you feel to allow them to audit you. Very few companies let alone most individuals do not have a full paper trail for their software.

They will demand receipts, original packaging, cd keys, and more.

How can they fail an audit on your computer if it has a new hard drive? How can you fail if it has open source on it. How can they fail it if you do not have one.

Almost all cases are caused by someone in the know making a report in expectation of a huge reward. However, the reward will often turn out to be a very small one. A percentage of the failed audit penalties.

I bought x5 from a vendor on Amazon in Feb and when I went to upgrade with Corel to x6 this month they said, it was an over registered copy. It came with CD case and book. Fortunately they refunded my money, but now I am looking at 499 to buy x6 instead of $200 plus $25 upgrade.

visual800

A colleague of mine was caught during an inspection by the BSA (Business Software Alliance) and fined for having Educational versions of CS4 and Microsoft Office being used in a commercial enterprise.

Oh I dealt with these pri**ks when I was selling dreamweaver on ebay. They came in guns blazing over emails and ceased my auction. The thing is instead of cowering down I called them back and demanded to know why I was doing wrong. The guy on the phone was nothing more than a cowardly human doing what he was told. He offered no help in the situation except babbling off a bunch of junk on a paper he was reading.

Thats when i was told I cannot sell software that I buy..........the older I get the more sick and tired of hearing I cant do something LOL.

WildWestDesigns

Oh I dealt with these pri**ks when I was selling dreamweaver on ebay. They came in guns blazing over emails and ceased my auction. The thing is instead of cowering down I called them back and demanded to know why I was doing wrong. The guy on the phone was nothing more than a cowardly human doing what he was told. He offered no help in the situation except babbling off a bunch of junk on a paper he was reading.

I wouldn't have expected much from them. They are glorified telemarketers that don't know much. Just like the people that you get ahold of on the service line of whatever company you are calling. You really need to get someone in the know though.

Thats when i was told I cannot sell software that I buy..........the older I get the more sick and tired of hearing I cant do something LOL.

My dad has always been that way. That's why he always made sure that he wasn't hampered with the contracts that he was involved in.

My only thing, especially as it relates to student/teacher editions, is that they are designed for a purpose and people take that purpose and use it for something else. It really wouldn't be any different then one of us sending a proof to a client and they take that proof and get the job done elsewhere.

That's why I'm actually glad that there aren't any student/teacher editions of the software that I use and it isn't anywhere near the cheapness that Adobe's Master Suite is. It keeps a lot of the people out of the market. Even the entry level software, if I recall correctly, is the same price as the Master Suite and it doesn't have anywhere near the functionality (unless you go all manual, which you can kiss goodbye any profit doing that) as the one that I use.