Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why isn't this Arial Black?

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by Sabre, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Sabre

Sabre Member

Sep 13, 2005
    I thought I had this figured out and even went onto rebuilding the rest, but then I noticed the differences in the tip of the 't' and when I overlay it in wireframe it doesn't match up on a quite a few spots.

Then I went in and started manually editing each character, but this will be used in very large (for us) graphics, so I figured we better just nail down the font.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. myronb

myronb Active Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Thsi is definitely a version of either Helvetica or Swiss

Check your Swiss 721 Bold italic in Corel

3. Sabre

Sabre Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Wow, all I did was refresh my browser and there was a reply.

All of my helvetica's seemed to be too skinny. The Swiss brings me a step closer, but the 'r' characters dont drop down on the tips of the r. Wow that doesn't make any sense, does it? Should I just manually stretch out the r a little further?

4. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

i got it as SBF-HOO4 font.....ZURIK OR UNIVERSAL BLACK, need to square up the t and tilt and you got it

5. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    The font is Helvetica Neue 83 Heavy Extended Oblique. Because of the extremely good legibility of the Helvetica family it was widely adopted for a variety of standardized uses. As a result, every major foundry created their own slightly different versions.

Agfa = Triumvirate
    Monotype = Arial
    Bitstream = Swiss
    Linotype = Helvetica

6. Sabre

Sabre Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Thanks for the prompt and informative replies. I modified a swiss I had to bring it a little bit closer to their original. I'm due at their site in a half hour to show them what I came up with which I'm sure will meet their needs.

Thanks again!