• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why not use exterior paint for interior wall for vinyl adhesion

Jean Shimp

I have a client who wants vinyl wall graphics in his new office. We waited a week after the wall was painted and tested some different vinyls on it. The test pieces failed. We don't have any problems putting vinyl lettering on exterior signs that we paint with latex exterior house paints. Is there any reason why we can't use the same exterior paints on the interior walls. This should eliminate the adhesion problems, correct?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Might depend on the color and sheen. Outdoor paint is generally glossy. That's what gives it a longer outdoor life. Doubt anyone would want that kinda finish on their walls.

ClevelandEast

The paint they used is low VOC which makes adhesion difficult. You can treat the surface with rubbing alcohol, or repaint it with a non-low VOC paint. We deal with this all the damn time.

MikePro

low voc paint... a simple google will reveal that you should wait 6-8weeks before you'll see proper adhesion. any earlier, either the vinyl won't stick or your masking tape will peel-up large scabs of the wall paint.

buzkill, i know. but that's just how its gotta be.
(higher temps and airflow, you may be able to push it sooner..... but most interior settings will have cooler temps year-round, further inhibiting curetime of the paint)

karst41

I do not know if this is viable to the conversation.

A friend of mine is an interior decorator for many years and she always applies
a special primer prior to application of the wall paper.

I asked her why the extra expense, and she told me that she never has to return
to touch up.

3m also has a test kit for wall graphics. Its pricey but if this is what you do then
it is worth it.

unclebun

The biggest problem with interior paints is that they add things to make smudges and fingerprints not stain and stick for easy cleaning. This makes it so that graphics also don't stick. Here's a cut and paste from a popular Sherwin Williams paint page:
Duration Home paint and primer in one features exclusive cross linking technology that actually repels stains. It also has advanced stain blocking technology to seal in stains already on your walls. Duration Home goes on smoothly and quickly and offers excellent hide. It is ideal for high traffic areas like kitchens and hallways and most stains wipe clean with water.
However, using exterior paints indoors is not the solution either. Exterior paints have more VOCs, which will cause a smell that can be irritating or cause respiratory distress in those susceptible. They also contain different mildecides which will cause a smell that comes and goes for a very long time.