Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Why Outdoor Signs are turning black

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by CDS PROFESSIONAL SERVICES, Feb 23, 2021.

1. CDS PROFESSIONAL SERVICES

CDS PROFESSIONAL SERVICES New Member

Mar 11, 2017
    Apple Valley, Ca
    Lately I have noticed outdoor lighted signs with translucent signs becoming blackish, like burning out.

What causes this? Is it no uv protection or the laminate not a uv protector?

2. Z SIGNS

Z SIGNS Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Trenton NJ
    That's what happens to printed signs. They turn brown in a few years.

3. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Either cheap materials which fail earlier or the right materials and they are old.

4. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    3ml with 3ml laminate will look like they have a fungal infection attacking them. Not sure how a cast film with laminate fairs....hopefully a few years longer.

5. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    It's why I use cast translucent cut vinyl when I can... I try to at least push a customer to figure out how to make the sign without needing to print...it will only benefit them when we can double/triple the life of the sign.

6. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Vinyl going bad is what makes them look like that.
    Only way to make them last is to paint second surface on clear polycarb then spray translucent white flood coat. Learned that from an old time sign guy I worked with from time to time. He did a lot of backlit work, some of which is still in my neighborhood over 20 years later.

The rare backlit panel I need gets subbed out now, but it's still second surface on clear with white flood.;)

7. Val47

Val47 Boudica@Nite

Mar 2, 2020
    Spokane, WA
    do you have pictures you could post?

8. WYLDGFI

WYLDGFI Merchant Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Linden, NJ
    We like to do that way as well when the client is using clear polycarbonate or similar.

9. McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs McDonald Signs & Graphics

Feb 11, 2013
    Guin, Alabama
    Top layer of Laminate is probably turning brown....