• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why won't Versworks see the cut contour here????

Desert_Signs

I am totally lost. I can't figure it out. It's a completely simple layout. Ideas? I tried it as an .eps and a .pdf. I even made a separate file with only the contour. Attached is the .pdf

Attachments

• 1402_BLUE_TXT.pdf
    460.5 KB · Views: 69

2B

we have seen this before and it usually is caused by the cut contour being an incomplete circuit.

if you go into the design zoom in and trace the lines, there will probably a missing node

also just to make sure the top layer is the cut contour color and you are not flattening the file during export

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I opened it in Illustrator CS3 and your lines are not actually lines. It looks like you expanded them. If you zoom in close you can see that your lines are actually super long skinny geometric shapes rather than a single line.

neil_se

Yep, they're fills rather than outlines.

Attachments

• Cut Line.JPG
    Cut Line.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 79

Desert_Signs

I opened it in Illustrator CS3 and your lines are not actually lines. It looks like you expanded them. If you zoom in close you can see that your lines are actually super long skinny geometric shapes rather than a single line.

Hmm, I'm not seeing that either in preview or outline mode. They are just lines, even when zoomed in at 6400%.

Desert_Signs

Preview and outline mode.

Attachments

• Screenshot-2015-04-01-13.19.46.jpg
    Screenshot-2015-04-01-13.19.46.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot-2015-04-01-13.20.07.jpg
    Screenshot-2015-04-01-13.20.07.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 53

Desert_Signs

OK, I fixed it. I still don't understand how or why this happened. It's never happened to me in 6 years... There was a ton of other stuff in the job that I set up exactly the same way and it didn't do it.

I fixed it by using expand appearance, then release compound path, then deleting one by one, the extra path.

Can anyone tell me what went on here?

EDIT TO ADD:

Weird. The cutcontour by itself is seen by versaworks. If I 'group' it and bring it back into the file with the printed colors, versaworks no longer sees the contour. If I don't group it and bring it back to the file with the colors, versaworks sees the contour. How would grouping it make it 'unseeable' by versaworks????

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I think it has something to do with the way your lines are aligned and how the software you are using is interpreting it. If you go into the stroke options there should be a setting to align the stroke in the center, the inside or the outside. It looks like you are aligned on the inside which may have made the software try to interpret it as a shape. I have never had any issues with files aligning the stroke in the center but never have tried sending anything the other ways. Just a a guess.

Multiple objects had been compounded (for no apparent reason). Once the compounds were released, and the redundant objects deleted, the file is fine for print & cut in the RIP of choice.

Desert_Signs

Multiple objects had been compounded (for no apparent reason). Once the compounds were released, and the redundant objects deleted, the file is fine for print & cut in the RIP of choice.

I can't even figure out how it happened, or why. It was just text. I did like I always do. Selected the font. Create outlines. Turn the fill off, select the stroke, create new cutcontour swatch. There was a lot of text on this job, this little portion was the only part that this happened to. No idea how or why.

Desert_Signs

I think it has something to do with the way your lines are aligned and how the software you are using is interpreting it. If you go into the stroke options there should be a setting to align the stroke in the center, the inside or the outside. It looks like you are aligned on the inside which may have made the software try to interpret it as a shape. I have never had any issues with files aligning the stroke in the center but never have tried sending anything the other ways. Just a a guess.

How would that explain why grouping the contour stroke makes it invisible to Versaworks, while leaving it ungrouped lets versaworks see it?

It's just weird! I even brought in a cutcontour swatch from another file that worked, selected the stroke and used the color picker tool to change the stroke to the 'working' contour. Still no dice.

Just a ghost in the machine, I guess.