• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why would edge sealer cause vinyl to shrink when it dries? (pic included)

WhatsYourSign?

We did a vinyl wrap on a boat and in 3M training we were taught to use their 3950 Edge Sealer to seal the edges to prevent moisture from getting underneath the wrap.

However, as the Edge Sealer dried, it caused the vinyl to wrinkle as you see in the image below.

Note: This wrinkling showed up within a few hours before the boat was ever in water.

What did we do wrong that caused this? How can we correct this in the future?

Thanks in advance for your help!

ZzgRBdv.png

Last edited:

TimToad

It seems to me that right above the blisters, the vinyl was trimmed a little high in the groove. Edge sealer or not, if that edge catches water very often, it's going to work its way down your air egress channels and collect.

WhatsYourSign?

It seems to me that right above the blisters, the vinyl was trimmed a little high in the groove. Edge sealer or not, if that edge catches water very often, it's going to work its way down your air egress channels and collect.

Good to know...we'll be redoing this so when we do, we'll be sure to trim a bit lower to avoid that.

TimToad

Good to know...we'll be redoing this so when we do, we'll be sure to trim a bit lower to avoid that.

Boat graphics on the hull and gunwale? are especially sensitive to water creeping in under them from both soaking and being sprayed up when the boat is moving.

WhatsYourSign?

Boat graphics on the hull and gunwale? are especially sensitive to water creeping in under them from both soaking and being sprayed up when the boat is moving.

That was why the 3M training school taught my installers to use edge sealer, to try and prevent that.

However, what I'm trying to figure out is why it caused the vinyl to wrinkle the way it did when it dried. This happened before the boat ever saw water, so it wasn't caused by moisture.

TimToad

That was why the 3M training school taught my installers to use edge sealer, to try and prevent that.

However, what I'm trying to figure out is why it caused the vinyl to wrinkle the way it did when it dried. This happened before the boat ever saw water, so it wasn't caused by moisture.

Oh wow! I assumed had been in the water for a while. Does it feel like its air or liquid underneath those bubbles?

I don't know what to think if its not been back in the water. How far over the edge did you seal it? I always thought that Edge Sealer is just an acrylic sealant like Frog Juice.

WhatsYourSign?

Oh wow! I assumed had been in the water for a while. Does it feel like its air or liquid underneath those bubbles?

I don't know what to think if its not been back in the water. How far over the edge did you seal it? I always thought that Edge Sealer is just an acrylic sealant like Frog Juice.

My installer said it feels like hard rubber underneath the wrinkles.

Said he installed it in a thin layer using q-tips and as it dried these wrinkles appeared.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
The only time I have seen something like that on 3M material was brushing Primer 94 on prints that were already laid down (trying to repair lifting).

unclebun

Melted the vinyl with its solvents. Probably overapplied. Also, the vinyl is trimmed so that the edge is curled up onto the bottom of the rubrail. It needs to be trimmed so it is flat on the fiberglass. And the edge sealer needs to go just on the fiberglass and the edge of the vinyl, not an inch onto the vinyl. You can see the thick layer of edge sealer on the vinyl in the photo. It's even possible that since the edge of the vinyl isn't adhered to the fiberglass, the edge sealer seeped behind the vinyl and damaged it.

Johnny Best

Yep, looks like edge sealer got under the vinyl and coagulated with the adhesive as someone stated and that is why it is rubbery feeling. Do not like using Frog Juice or 3M edge sealer on boats. It starts to break down in about 6 months and then turns white and flakes off within a year. If your going to seal use a thin strip of clear cast vinyl along the edge and do a better job of cutting under rub rail.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We trim a couple of 1/8 and 1/4" strips of laminate off of our laminate rolls with our slitter before we laminate. Makes it easier on the laminator with no hang-over and you get FREE rolls of edge seal tape. Our slitter is one of the best purchases we've made here.

WhatsYourSign?

Melted the vinyl with its solvents. Probably overapplied. Also, the vinyl is trimmed so that the edge is curled up onto the bottom of the rubrail. It needs to be trimmed so it is flat on the fiberglass. And the edge sealer needs to go just on the fiberglass and the edge of the vinyl, not an inch onto the vinyl. You can see the thick layer of edge sealer on the vinyl in the photo. It's even possible that since the edge of the vinyl isn't adhered to the fiberglass, the edge sealer seeped behind the vinyl and damaged it.

Yep, looks like edge sealer got under the vinyl and coagulated with the adhesive as someone stated and that is why it is rubbery feeling. Do not like using Frog Juice or 3M edge sealer on boats. It starts to break down in about 6 months and then turns white and flakes off within a year. If your going to seal use a thin strip of clear cast vinyl along the edge and do a better job of cutting under rub rail.

These are both extremely helpful posts, thank you!!!

Jb1983

3m sells edge sealer tape, at least my suppliers do, another of my suppliers also sells an oracal version. Both are just optically clear cast overlaminate. I’ve done plenty of boats and always use this method. I do not trust the liquid version nor do they make sense to me from an install perspective. In my experience it’s mainly only needed on the bottom edge and sides of the hull. You shouldn’t have any issues at the rub rail.

I love the edge sealer tape I’ve used it in many different applications with great results. When doing vehicle wraps I use it on lower surfaces like under rockers and bumpers, also in areas where the vinyl may have been over stretched to wrap in to an inner. It gives it that extra hold to prevent fingering/lifting.