• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wifi Network Setup for SC545EX

Color Envy

Long term reader, just signed up and subscribed today :)

I have a SC-545EX that I am setting up. (first time setup)
I have my main computer hooked to my main router (with internet access). I have had several routers fried during storms here. So i REALLY dont want to even have the option of having the network port popped on this printer, so I want to setup a 2nd wireless router with no internet access that does nothing but connect my computer to the printer and probably a NAS or cloud drive. I have installed the new router (TPlink P5 Touch) and I am connected to both routers but that is as far as I know how to go to finish setting this up. Ill be using Versaworks to run it. Any tips or instructions you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated! :) Thanks!

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Well if you are already connected to both routers then just connect Versaworks to the printer? You have to give the printer an IP. Simple as that.
I'm not sure what else you would want?

Last edited:

jimboeejit

struggling to understand this....
2 routers?
surely they are both connected to power outlets?
would they not both 'pop' if a surge in power?

i would have started with everything plugged into a 'surge protected' outlet like a 'tower sockets'
then run a '4 port switch' from router
plug PC and printer into switch and versworks will find your printer

or am i missing something?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
or am i missing something?
I think he is more concerned that the phone line gets hit by the surge and that fries the network.
And there is also surge protectors available to adsl/ethernet. I've been once saved by this, it broke the protector but didn't pass through to the router.

Color Envy

I have had 3 main routers pop through the incoming cable line. So I was simply trying to avoid any future damage to the printer via the ethernet cable. That is the reason for wanting to connect to it wirelessly and have it on a separate network of its own with no internet access. Basically I was hoping to be able to use a wireless router and turn the SC545ex into a wireless printer. It very well may not work, its just an idea that I was throwing around for added protection.

I could probably get it to work if I put my laptop on the network with it and share the printer after it is set up with versaworks on the laptop, maybe? Just thought there might be a networking guru running around in here that would know :)

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I have had 3 main routers pop through the incoming cable line. So I was simply trying to avoid any future damage to the printer via the ethernet cable. That is the reason for wanting to connect to it wirelessly and have it on a separate network of its own with no internet access. Basically I was hoping to be able to use a wireless router and turn the SC545ex into a wireless printer. It very well may not work, its just an idea that I was throwing around for added protection.

I could probably get it to work if I put my laptop on the network with it and share the printer after it is set up with versaworks on the laptop, maybe? Just thought there might be a networking guru running around in here that would know :)
Friend I already told you, if you are connected to both routers now it's already working! No magic needed!

Well if you are already connected to both routers then just connect Versaworks to the printer? You have to give the printer an IP. Simple as that.
I'm not sure what else you would want?

Last edited:

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
First, printing to wide format printers will work, but not well. The printer will likely outrun the data stream from the wireless and will hesitate for a brief time at the end of each scan.

Second, it seems your main concern is frying your routers due to surges from the cable line. Your best solution is to get a UPS that has protection connections for both cable and network ports. You will probably want at least 2 of these, one for your computer system/routers and one for your Roland. These will both be your surge "firewall" and allow everything to keep running with power outages. These are reasonably priced and 1500VA is the largest available for 120VAC. Amazon.com: CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD Intelligent LCD UPS System, 1500VA/900W, 12 Outlets, AVR, Mini-Tower: Home Audio & Theater

What type of dryer do you have? If it is electrically and electronically isolated from the printer, then you can plug it into the wall or an surge protector outlet strip if you want to protect it.

Dan360

If you're just worried about the ethernet port on the Roland, wouldn't the easiest solution be a network line surge protector for like $30?

Just a passthrough for your network cable with a ground and voltage suppressor built in.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Yes, it would be easier and cheaper up front. But remember, electricity surges can and will go anywhere. If the OP has lost 3 routers to surges, it's only a matter of time before something else gets hit. I suggested UPS systems from previous experience running a shop with 23 printers of various types, where the ability to keep printing when the power went out in South Florida (frequently in the summer), was such a work saver. Lose data to a printer at the very end of a long job, and it adds up, plus the piece of mind. It's like physical electric insurance for your system...