Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wifi signal boosters

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by The Vector Doctor, Oct 10, 2012.

1. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    Has anyone had any luck with wifi signal boosters? I cannot get a good signal up 2 floors. Netgear router is located in my basement and get little or no reception beyond the first floor. I would prefer not to move the router as it would require running wires through floors and walls so the next best bet is a signal booster

Tags:
  2. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

Good question, was just wondering the same thing, we need to get a wifi signal about 100 yards to the other end of the building. :popcorn:

3. omgsideburns

omgsideburns Very Active Member

Apr 15, 2008
    You could always get a powerline networking kit and use that to move the router instead of running wires. Powerline networking is limited to like 200mbps but for your WAN connection that's plenty.

4. mopar691

mopar691 Member

Sep 15, 2010
    I have had good luck with Hawking Technology and their boosters, repeaters and antennas.

5. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    There was a post not to long ago about this same topic,
    did a search but could not find the exact one, maybe this will help spark the memory
    http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85130

Side note it was a while since I used them but directional antennas always had good results with.

6. 401Graphics

401Graphics Very Active Member

i used a booster when i used to take wifi from dunkin donuts from across the street at my old shop. It works. But keep in mind your speed will be cut in half because its now repeating the signal in and out.

7. Stevenelm

Stevenelm New Member

Aug 2, 2011
  8. showcase 66

showcase 66 Very Active Member

Sep 23, 2010
    This is the one I have.

http://www.officemax.com/technology...g Accessories&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=23220854

didnt get it at officemax. First place it came up when I googled it.

It works great. have only had one problem with it with a power outage. Needed to reset it like it was back to new but other than that, it has worked great.

I also have one of these in the living room so we have a better signal for netflix on the wii.
    http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Unive...&qid=1349910075&sr=8-4&keywords=netgear+wn300

I didnt pay that much as listed for each of them.

9. john1

john1 Guest

lol at least your honest

10. signspot

signspot Hokiesigns

Jul 15, 2010
    Hokie Nation
  11. 401Graphics

401Graphics Very Active Member

their stupid customers and some employees would always use my parking lot and dump trash out of their cars too. So I would steel their internet and use their dumpster to dump all of the shop trash.

12. Ditchmiester

Ditchmiester Active Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Oswego, IL
    I have used one from Amped Wireless and it works pretty good.

13. SlightlyChilled

SlightlyChilled Very Active Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Hell
    If I heard right comcast might be letting you have them or rent. I will look into it. Never know what I may find wink wink

14. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    LOTS of wifi boosters available along with antennas. hotels and my marina uses a bunch of them.

you should be good to go. you could also put another router where you are at with the antennas and get it on your network from the other router.

the devices with those dual/tripple antenas get MUCH stronger signal. trust me. my laptop vs my desktop with the two big antennas on the back of the card are night an day. laptop is almost gone, and the desktop is full excellent strength.

15. Team Valhalla

Team Valhalla Member

Sep 15, 2009
    U.S. of A.
    I'd have to go back and see what it was called, but there's a gizmo you can plug into an electrical outlet and it runs the signal that way.

We were looking to shoot a signal about 150 ft to an adjacent building and we were having issues with the wireless router and signal strength. Ended up not being able to do it that way due to the other building having it's own circuit... went with a Cisco unit and it works great.

SP

16. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    After buying everything (and I mean everything) (and returning it) including antennas etc. The farthest range (through buildings etc.) I have gotten is with an apple airport router with seperate reciever. The only apple product I would or do own.

17. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    Thanks for all of the info.

18. Mike F

Mike F Active Member

May 11, 2011
  19. noregrets

noregrets Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Nz
    http://www.ubnt.com/airmax

I have these, dont get near the advertised distance, but they definitley boost the signal quite well.

20. signswi

signswi Very Active Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Came into the thread to rep Ubiquiti, great products.