• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Will 8 ft PVC sag over time?

MIPDan

I have a customer who wants 15"Tx8'W sign that will be suspended outdoors by the ends on two posts. Would 1/2" pvc sag over time or should it last? Is there a better choice of material? I will be eco-solvent printing onto adhesive vinyl and mounting to the preferred material.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You'd be better off with MDO, 6mm or 10mm alumalite, or even a banner..... than a wispy little 1/2" piece of PVC.

SeeEmWhyKay

Print Plug & Pigment Procurer
Seconding a truly rigid substrate- my go to would be ACM- at least a 6mm. Would there be any cross supports along the 8' side to stabilize it? If it's only meant to be temporary I would go with mesh banner.

MIPDan

Seconding a truly rigid substrate- my go to would be ACM- at least a 6mm. Would there be any cross supports along the 8' side to stabilize it? If it's only meant to be temporary I would go with mesh banner.
The plan is no cross supports. His preference it only be the sign that it only be attached on the sides. This would be a long term sign.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Need more info....how high up? Attached to the posts how? If this is permanent, I would make it out of .080" or even 1/8" aluminum faces attached to 1/2" aluminum square tube, creating a box, then secured to 4" posts. Basically a really long post and panel sign.

MIPDan

Need more info....how high up? Attached to the posts how? If this is permanent, I would make it out of .080" or even 1/8" aluminum faces attached to 1/2" aluminum square tube, creating a box, then secured to 4" posts. Basically a really long post and panel sign.
I am attaching a photo. They are wooden posts. He would prefer not to attach to the sign main sign and just have it attached to the side posts. I make signs for many of the vendors at different markets we set up at but it is not the main part of our business. Thus, any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 3.29.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 3.29.21 PM.png
    428.5 KB · Views: 208

rossmosh

I wouldn't use 1/2". 3/4" should work but you definitely need to account for it moving.

Cheapest 3/4" PVC you can buy is from Home Depot. Model # H190AWS13

MIPDan

I wouldn't use 1/2". 3/4" should work but you definitely need to account for it moving.

Cheapest 3/4" PVC you can buy is from Home Depot. Model # H190AWS13
Thanks. That is normally where I buy PVC, plus I don't have to worry about shipping costs.

SeeEmWhyKay

Print Plug & Pigment Procurer
I am attaching a photo. They are wooden posts. He would prefer not to attach to the sign main sign and just have it attached to the side posts. I make signs for many of the vendors at different markets we set up at but it is not the main part of our business. Thus, any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

At that size I would try to talk the customer into some sort of support rail. You're going to want to do a lot of screws or bolts as well to keep it affixed to the posts. Still would for sure suggest an ACM product over PVC- it really has a tendency to warp and gets brittle over time.

MIPDan

At that size I would try to talk the customer into some sort of support rail. You're going to want to do a lot of screws or bolts as well to keep it affixed to the posts. Still would for sure suggest an ACM product over PVC- it really has a tendency to warp and gets brittle over time.
Thanks for the information. I am looking up pricing information in order to give the customer a quote.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Oh well now that I see this just add an MDO piece and call it a day.