Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Will 8 ft PVC sag over time?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by MIPDan, Jul 27, 2020.

1. MIPDan

MIPDan New Member

Jan 28, 2019
    Harrisburg, PA
    I have a customer who wants 15"Tx8'W sign that will be suspended outdoors by the ends on two posts. Would 1/2" pvc sag over time or should it last? Is there a better choice of material? I will be eco-solvent printing onto adhesive vinyl and mounting to the preferred material.

2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    You'd be better off with MDO, 6mm or 10mm alumalite, or even a banner..... than a wispy little 1/2" piece of PVC.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SeeEmWhyKay

SeeEmWhyKay Print Plug & Pigment Procurer

Apr 22, 2020
    Fresno, Ca
    Seconding a truly rigid substrate- my go to would be ACM- at least a 6mm. Would there be any cross supports along the 8' side to stabilize it? If it's only meant to be temporary I would go with mesh banner.

4. MIPDan

MIPDan New Member

Jan 28, 2019
    Harrisburg, PA
    The plan is no cross supports. His preference it only be the sign that it only be attached on the sides. This would be a long term sign.

5. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    Need more info....how high up? Attached to the posts how? If this is permanent, I would make it out of .080" or even 1/8" aluminum faces attached to 1/2" aluminum square tube, creating a box, then secured to 4" posts. Basically a really long post and panel sign.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MIPDan

MIPDan New Member

Jan 28, 2019
    Harrisburg, PA
    I am attaching a photo. They are wooden posts. He would prefer not to attach to the sign main sign and just have it attached to the side posts. I make signs for many of the vendors at different markets we set up at but it is not the main part of our business. Thus, any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

7. rossmosh

rossmosh Active Member

Oct 9, 2014
    New Jersey
    I wouldn't use 1/2". 3/4" should work but you definitely need to account for it moving.

Cheapest 3/4" PVC you can buy is from Home Depot. Model # H190AWS13

8. MIPDan

MIPDan New Member

Jan 28, 2019
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks. That is normally where I buy PVC, plus I don't have to worry about shipping costs.

9. SeeEmWhyKay

SeeEmWhyKay Print Plug & Pigment Procurer

Apr 22, 2020
    Fresno, Ca
    At that size I would try to talk the customer into some sort of support rail. You're going to want to do a lot of screws or bolts as well to keep it affixed to the posts. Still would for sure suggest an ACM product over PVC- it really has a tendency to warp and gets brittle over time.

10. MIPDan

MIPDan New Member

Jan 28, 2019
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks for the information. I am looking up pricing information in order to give the customer a quote.

11. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    Oh well now that I see this just add an MDO piece and call it a day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    +1 for MDO

13. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    If you have 6mm acm drop pieces laying around use that... otherwise MDO