• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will a ethernet hub work?

S

scarface

Hey everyone!

I'm rearranging things today to fit my new SP300i and i have a ethernet jack in the back of my tower but it already has my internet hooked up.

Since the new versacamm machines use ethernet instead of USB, can i buy a hub with multiple jacks so i can use both the internet and my printer?

Can anyone point me to a decent one? Preferably looking to buy from walmart, staples, office depot since they are local.

This sounds strange but my wireless router has 2 open ports but i don't think that would work.

Thanks!

vroongraphics

use a switch or router...assign your printer an IP address within range of your network (Dlink: 192.168.0.xxx)...Configure your printer port to that IP address....should work.

S

scarface

use a switch or router...assign your printer an IP address within range of your network (Dlink: 192.168.0.xxx)...Configure your printer port to that IP address....should work.

Now can i use the router my internet is using? I have 2 comps on it now with 2 ports free.

Thanks!

joeshaul

Many wireless routers have 4 LAN ports on them, and it's probably best to just plug it into one of those (unless you have another router set up behind the wireless one), otherwise go with a switch so as not to end up with two different networks. Just be sure you don't accidentally buy another router, you will cause yourself a lot of heartache trying to get machines to connect to each other. I've used some pretty noname brands on switches and had great luck, I'd personally probably go one step above the cheapest. If you can find a good deal on Linksys, D-Link, or Netgear, they're the major networking manufacturers.

Hubs are practically non-existant these days, as technology has made them pretty much obsolete. The difference between a hub and a switch is similar to the phone system vs a broadcasting/intercomm system (like at the airport, or school), a switch knows which wire to send the data through, so only one person's phone rings, while a hub will just send it down all the wires, thus causing more chance of conflicts and slower data throughput.

S

scarface

Alright so just plug it into my netgear router which has 2 free ports and i'll be good to go?

S

scarface

good one....it does use a cross-over, not your regular ethernet cable you would use for internet

Alright well what do i need to do now?

I see on the Roland site it has a ethernet cable....

* 30” and 54” wide-format inkjet printer/cutters
* Roland Intelligent Pass Control for outstanding print quality and increased productivity
* ECO‐SOL MAX eco-solvent ink
* 1440 x 720 dpi resolution
* Uncoated media support
* Heavy‐duty media handling system supports heavier rolls
*SP-300i – up to 44 lbs.
*SP-540i – up to 66 lbs.
* VersaWorks 3.2 RIP software
* Integrated heater system
* Ethernet connectivity
* Automated maintenance system with redesigned maintenance cover
* Optional take‐up system

Biker Scout

Well, it still is an ethernet plug... it's just that the wires are crossed over from one plug to the other. I'm pretty sure Staples will have a cross over cable. If not, try Radio Shack. They aren't uncommon by any means.

craigdavisdesign

If you cant find one you can make one. I made mine. The plugs are available at Radio Shack as a kit and diagrams are available online for the wire configuration.

S

scarface

Well it should come with the machine i thought, where do i plug it in if my tower only has 1 ethernet cable which is being used by my router?

craigdavisdesign

I would recommend getting a switch instead of the router because of the communication issues that may occur. In the mean time unplug the router from the tower and plug in the cable that came w/ the printer. For now that may be a pain. The switch I use was less that $50 and you will be able to use the printer and internet at the same time

rgaskins

From what I understand you only need the crossover cable if the Roland is connected directly to the computers ethernet port...If you are using a router or hub then you use the straight through cable...I'm using the D-link switch with the straight through cable with no problems...

Biker Scout

Yes, that is true... the router will auto-detect the port. In fact you can use a cross-over cable with a router, but there's really no need.

S

scarface

sweet, so when i get the machine just plug it into my netgear router and i'm game?

Biker Scout

Yeah, just make sure you establish a unique IP Address "ON" the machine before you add the printer port on your computer. Done through the printer's control panel.

rgaskins

Just wondering here but dosn't the printer come with setup and training? When I got the Vp-540 they delivered it and stayed two business days for training...

Graphics2u

All you need to do is plug the printer into open port on router. Crossover not needed unless directly connected to computer.

S

scarface

plugged the Ethernet cord from a XBOX 360 right into my netgear router, assigned IP and has no problems.