• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will a windshield wiper affect a graphic?

Sinclair

We have a job coming up that may require to put graphics on a back windshield. Will the windshield wiper hurt the graphic? What are people using for material? Any other suggestions?

Billct2

Yes. My suggestion is to tell the customer any graphic that's in the way of the wiper isn't guaranteed.

UnlimitedBT

Hi, I think, no matter what you do or how you do it, abrasion created by wiper will chew trough it sooner or later. It is not uncommon for people to activate the rear wiper accidentally and with road noise and/or music not knowing that it is on, if it goes on dry... use your imagination how little that will last. I had a rep from local wide format supplies company at my shop recently, out of conversation I understand that there is an alternative or special kind of perforated vinyl that goes on to inside... basically as a tint. That could be a reasonable alternative... and safer.

TammieH

Yeah, if you think about how much dirt the wiper is pushing back and forth

Some people go so far as to remove the wiper completely..

Commando

When I was 16 or 17 I had a big graphic on the front of my truck. Lasted about a year before it started showing wear

Mosh

Is there a reason it can't be applied second surface?

Most back windows are tinted.

Also hope they live in a warm climate....ice scrapers are even worse that wiper blades. FYI

Portland Maine? yeah they will use ice scrapers!

DigiPrinter

Is there a reason it can't be applied second surface?

Most rear windows have defrost wires on the inside....removal of the graphics will probably damage the window defrost lines. Mosh also said it, most windows are tinted and you probably won't get much visibility.

Stanton

Most back windows are tinted.

Oh, stab in the gullet.

:Big Laugh

Valid point if you don't consider the possibility of clear glass.

Is this one?

Most < All.

What is it like to want to comment so bad you don't pause for a moment
to consider that you are so low rung that we all laugh at you?

I'm thinkin' you should reserve comment until you get a clue.
Just kidding.

:rolleyes:

-Glenn

neil_se

We do plenty of rear windows with cut vinyl or laminated perf, but surprisingly I can't recall any instances where we've had to replace anything because the wiper has caused peeling or damage (besides a bit of scratching of the laminate perhaps).

k.a.s.

Have done it many times, and while it does show wear over a long time I have rarely had something peel or come off. In general, on a rear window the wiper does not get used very often, at least not in my vehicles.

Kevin

2B

as long as you are careful and seal the edges good where the wiper blade comes in contact then you will be good on curling/peeling.

the scratches/marks are something entirely different and will be noticeable

Sinclair

Thanks! I figured over time the graphic would so some wear and tear. I think as long as the customer knows that this will happen we should be all set. Yes, the Maine weather will help with the wear on it too.

Thank you.