• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Will any paint/vinyl/UV Printing stick to the polyethylene core in ACM?

rossmosh

Working on a project where I'm trying to replicate the look of an etched aluminum sign with using brushed aluminum ACM. The big catch is the etched element needs to be colors other than black.

Any tricks or products I can use to paint the black polyethylene?

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Working on a project where I'm trying to replicate the look of an etched aluminum sign with using brushed aluminum ACM. The big catch is the etched element needs to be colors other than black.

Any tricks or products I can use to paint the black polyethylene?

If you can spray with Matthews, the plastic primer should work well. I think it's called Tie something. I've never Cnc cut into ACM like this, but I would be concerned about that super thin aluminum causing problems.

Andy D

I would route and bend the ACM.
If you have a lip after bending & you can route that off, if need be.

ams-140-med-new11.jpg

Andy D

I don't. I haven't done much of that, but I know there are companies that do that all the time...
I toured a company that made all of their gas station canopies that way.. Youtube should have something.

TimToad

This is the brand primer we use for nearly everything and have had good luck with adhesion on the edges of ACM with it.

If I think I understand what your intent is and it was us, we would cover the ACM with a high performance vinyl as a mask, then rout or engrave leaving the mask in place for painting then peel the mask off.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 12.01.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 12.01.55 PM.png
    95.5 KB · Views: 237

rossmosh

I'm not making a box or needing a bend. I'm literally just engraving a logo into brushed aluminum ACM. The issue is I was planning on using epoxy with the impression it stuck to anything and found out shortly after it does not.

I was going to follow Tim's method exactly: Peel the stock slip sheet. Put down Avery paint mask, route/engrave, "prime", paint, and then finally peel. The lack of adhesion just threw me off.

signbrad

According to the Matthews painting handbook, flame or corona treatment is required for paint adhesion to polypropylene or polyethylene. This allows for the pastic to be paint-receptive for a short time. Even then, adhesion test is recommended. Tiebond bonding primer is NOT recommended by the handbook.

John Miller

We ran into this issue on a project. I spoke with The Matthews tech people and the Alupanel people and both told me getting paint to stick to the polyethylene is highly unlikely.
The path of least resistance is to use ACP with a gray core.