• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will omega 2.5 work with windows 7

TFCSigns

Hey guys I just purchased a new computer nothing special just a i3 with 8 gig of ram. Only problem is that I loaded windows xp on and it only supports 4gig of ram. So I'm wondering if i load windows 7 on to this computer so I can get the most out of my ram. Will my omega 2.5 still work or would I have to upgrade?
Thanks

genericname

Win7 lets you run programs under a virtual environment of previous OSes, so you shouldn't have any issues. If you do run into any speed bumps, it'll be with security keys and whatnot that aren't recognized anymore.

Just to be safe? I'd install as a dual-boot, so you can jump back into your previous install of XP if need be. Then only format once you're sure everything will migrate safely.

k_graham

Perfect thanks might have to run out and get a copy of windows 7 today and give it a go.

If you can - download it from Microsoft. I purchased a Windows 8 from Newegg with the parts for a computer I built. Initially I was typing in the wrong code - the one I could read! I called Microsoft and they were no help because the item wasn't purchased through them, so there would be the advantage of buying from Microsoft. Called Newegg and while on permanent hold got out my 10x Printers Loupe (10x magnifying glass) There pasted on a multicolor background was the actual serial number in 4 point or smaller lettering.

I doubt you will like using virtual memory of Windows 7, 64 bit to run a older program, it seems to take a long time to boot into it. Some programs we can't run on the regular Windows7 64 bit we can with the Windows 7, 32 bit the memory is limited but the experience is better.

You might try a triple boot

Ken

Malkin

I spent many hours trying to load Omega 2.6 onto a Win7 machine, and it just would not go.
I think the real issue was that the (old) sentinel driver would either not install, or would not recognize the dongle. And of course the newer sentinel driver only worked with Omega 3.0 or newer.

Browner

I've got Omega 2.61.0.10 SP1 working on my Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit). Don't seem to recall having any issues with the program or the sentinel drive. Windows did a good job of sorting that out all on its own (for me).

The new computer didn't have the proper printer or plotter connections. But that's fine: I mapped a network drive, and use its GQMgr to send jobs through to the 'remote' printer and plotters.