• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will Onyx give you any patch upgrades for free?

Dan Berg

Just purchased a copy of Onyx Thrive 19 (All I could afford) for my used Epson s80600.
Doing some print and cut and my new Graphtec ce-7000 is not on the cutter list. It still works choosing the generic Graphtec but I had a heck of a time getting it to work. I was told Onyx had several patches that take care of this. Does Onyx give these out or are they going to insist on an upgrade first? All I use Onyx for is print and cut and with barely one or two jobs a month it is not worth any more money to pay for a thrive 21or 22 upgrade.

jimdtg

Try this update to see how it work with your cutter.

Changes included in this update:
— CE7000 Series — (New Device support)
• Graphtec CE7000 Driver available
• Graphtec Roll Server Barcode for Layout tool.

Last edited:

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
You can only update to the latest version of 19.0.x.
If it's 19.1.x (which doesn't exist from menory) you can't update.

jfiscus

Rap Master
From my recent dealings with Onyx & Graphtec, if you're not running roll-to-roll on your plotter with barcodes - I would use the Graphtec software plugin to add the crop marks into the actual file and not use Onyx to add those.
We have the latest Onyx version (subscription-based, always up to date) and STILL constantly struggle with Onyx and Graphtec plotters.
We have three Graphtec FC9000 plotters, and Onyx keeps putting out patches, and a couple weeks later they break again. At least we keep finding work-arounds to keep running, as we run roll-to roll barcode based plotting on all three all day long. It's GREAT when it works correctly, but when it stops working, it SUCKS.

Dan Berg

I tried printing the barcode and registration marks but my Graphtec will not read the barcode on my ce7000. My barcode prints the code but it does not print the black start bar that is required . I found only one place to activate the barcode in Onyx and it says nothing about a start bar.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
From my recent dealings with Onyx & Graphtec, if you're not running roll-to-roll on your plotter with barcodes - I would use the Graphtec software plugin to add the crop marks into the actual file and not use Onyx to add those.
We have the latest Onyx version (subscription-based, always up to date) and STILL constantly struggle with Onyx and Graphtec plotters.
We have three Graphtec FC9000 plotters, and Onyx keeps putting out patches, and a couple weeks later they break again. At least we keep finding work-arounds to keep running, as we run roll-to roll barcode based plotting on all three all day long. It's GREAT when it works correctly, but when it stops working, it SUCKS.
Don't what to hijack this thread.

What issues are you having with the fc9000?
We're having issues with ours with accuracy.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We're having issues with ours with accuracy.
The issue we are having is the Onyx Cut Server and communication between the plotters and the RIP through Java over the network/IP addresses.
It is more prevalent of an issue the more plotters you have running at once trying to communicate with the CutServer.
Onyx/Graphtec know about the issue and are trying to work it out, but their timeline for it being fixed "soon" isn't my timeline for "soon".

Ours is VERY accurate with cutting our prints, we are using segmented marks every 18" (I think).
Not sure what all marks/registration you're using or if it might be a file setup or RIP issue even. Once I had a Graphtec that kept changing languages and screwing up cuts.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
The issue we are having is the Onyx Cut Server and communication between the plotters and the RIP through Java over the network/IP addresses.
It is more prevalent of an issue the more plotters you have running at once trying to communicate with the CutServer.
Onyx/Graphtec know about the issue and are trying to work it out, but their timeline for it being fixed "soon" isn't my timeline for "soon".

Ours is VERY accurate with cutting our prints, we are using segmented marks every 18" (I think).
Not sure what all marks/registration you're using or if it might be a file setup or RIP issue even. Once I had a Graphtec that kept changing languages and screwing up cuts.
I run all default settings. 500mm segments. with 1000mm (1m) prints.
Half way up the print (at the 1st segment) It's off my 3-5mm.

if you're talking about the barcode server? when the Graphtec scans it and times out. that's a known ( and very annoying) issue. that's onyx's problem. and they're very aware of it.

frankzilla

I second just running the plugin in the design software with your files and just building it into the print file so it's consistent forever. If you ever need to do the job again, it's ready and you're able to regardless of ONYX version or bugs.

Jay Grooms

Printing, Printing, Printing......
I tried printing the barcode and registration marks but my Graphtec will not read the barcode on my ce7000. My barcode prints the code but it does not print the black start bar that is required . I found only one place to activate the barcode in Onyx and it says nothing about a start bar.
In the past year, I have gotten our brand new Graphtec FC9000 to read EXACTLY one barcode.
It doesn't even read it using it's own software (cutting master)
This is the first Graphtec I've used, and it will probably be the last.
Not super happy with it. Buggy, not at all accurate. Seems ours was made on a Friday. lol.