• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will printer STOP or Run out of Ink? Always been curious...

splizaat

Hey guys! So I know how to check ink levels, I know the machine beeps when it's running low on an ink cartridge. I have spares here, but I've always been curious...

On short print jobs (4 feet), if the printer starts beeping during printing because of low ink levels, it usually finishes it out and then stops at the end of the print job before cutting and requires another cartridge.

On LONG print jobs (25ft banners) let's say it starts beeping 10feet into the banner. Will it stop part of the way through the print and require a new cartridge? Or will it continue to beep and print the job until there's nothing left in the cartridge at all and run it dry (all while beeping to warn you i needs a cartridge)?

I've always been curious on the longer print jobs if it'll continue to print until the ink is dry even though it needs a cartridge.

kanini

You can set the printer behaviour when it runs out of ink yourself, if it should stop or continue. The manual describes this. On our Rolands they stop when the cart is empty and you just pop a new one in and it continues where it stopped, so you don't need to waste the long banner.

DizzyMarkus

On our Rolands they stop when the cart is empty

Mine used to now it just keeps rght on printing and I have to catch it. Any idea how this could have changed and how to return it that way. I am using a Roland Sp-300V.

thank you,
Markus

kanini

According to the users manual you could set the behaviour under menu->ink Control->empty mode and either set it to cont. or stop. When set to "stop" the machine stops and prompts you to change cartridge. If set to "cont." it continues to print even if the cartridge is empty.
Page 97 in the manual describes this I think...

DizzyMarkus

Thank you greatly for your response. No manual and funny as it sounds -- I never had a need to d-load it yet lol

thanks again,
Markus