• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will the usb2 Seiki SK720T work on a usb3 laptop (win10)

Jason B

Hi all. First thread.

Im looking at getting the Seiki SK720T 28" cutter, or a Liyu (both usb2 connection) for my shop signage but the sellers of them state that it is not advised to use it with usb3 pc's.

My question, or questions are, has anyone tried the machine's on a usb3 interface? and wouldnt using a usb2 hub/multi into the usb3 in my laptop, and then plugging the cutter into that make compatability ok?

I dont really want to have to use my old chuggaboom laptop just for connecting to the vinyl cutter.

Ps. I'll be using incscape for design and probably look into inkcut to see if it will work with these cutters. Any suggestions on free (software) ways to cut from the vector design file. Ie I see no justification in being charged per annum to just 'cut' your own artwork.

Cheers in advance for any help.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
USB 3 is backwards compatible with USB 2 and should work. It was specifically designed to recognize which one is being used and act accordingly.

Jason B

Thanks VanderJ. I know its backwards compatible but for some reason the manufacturers and sellers recommend not to use usb3. Hopefully someone has done so and can shed some light on if its ok or not before I decide to get one of them.

EffectiveCause

Premium Subscriber
Thanks VanderJ. I know its backwards compatible but for some reason the manufacturers and sellers recommend not to use usb3. Hopefully someone has done so and can shed some light on if its ok or not before I decide to get one of them.

Honestly its probably just the manufacturer doing some CYA so if anything did go wrong they would have something to blame it on. But there is no reason a USB2 device shouldn't work on a USB3 port. Have you tried possibly asking the manufacturer what issues they had?

Jason B

Honestly its probably just the manufacturer doing some CYA so if anything did go wrong they would have something to blame it on. But there is no reason a USB2 device shouldn't work on a USB3 port. Have you tried possibly asking the manufacturer what issues they had?
Hi. Yeah I called Seiki, got put through to a technician who basically said they wont work with usb3 ports. But im sure they also said that they havent tested using a usb2 hub in-between the cutter and the pc. Thats not alot of help, and thats why ive come here, were I can get more sense from the actual users. If no-one can give a concrete answer here I'll probably look into what cutter has a built in usb/sd card input so I can export from inkscape (eps..svg..) and simply plug n cut. Cheers bud.