• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will the world explode if I mix gloss vinyl with matte laminate?

thinksigns

SnowFlake
I'm about eight months into the digital side of the sign world and I'm still sorting through the vinyls I want to stock. For coro signs, I've been using Oracal 3164 with a matte finish. I'm very happy with it. For medium term signs, I've been using 3165RA and 210 for the laminate - both with the gloss finish. I want to switch to the matte, but the 3165RA does not come matte. The 210 is available in matte. Does anyone have experience mixing the two finishes? Will I get acceptable results?

petesign

Yep, you'll just have signs with a matte finish. Now that I laminate everything I do I am thinking of switching to all matte finish vinyls, since my printer profiles print fewer passes on the matte stuff.

boxerbay

We stock 3640G and 3640M. since I get 3640G cheaper I use it as an all purpose glossy vinyl. if the job is going to be laminated i run it on 3640G.

I like the 3M ij35c-10 for intermediate stuff. not crazy expensive, has a grey adhesive, and air egress. nice stuff.

TheSnowman

I've never mixed and matched, but I remember when I was at the Feller's Wrap Class, they said that you can get some pretty awesome results mixing and matching stuff like that, and even with different brands...however, you have no warranty when you do that.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I don't buy matte vinyl at all for laminated printing - just matte lam. Print on 3651 and the finish depends on which 210 lam I pick.

we prefer using matte material and i personally prefer matte banner....think it looks alittle more classy. you'll be fine printing on gloss and laminating with matte...

J

john1

I stock nothing but matte banner material (ultraflex) and matte digital print vinyl. I have gloss over-laminates i use. I find the matte material prints much less grainy for some reason.

I can run jobs on high speed mode on a matte material without sacrificing quality it seems.

GypsyGraphics

i LOVE LOVE LOVE the look of gloss and matte blacks together.
i'm so drawn to that look, i use quite often, in print work and wraps.
it's a subtle STELLER affect!!!

yeah, agree with john1......matte prints sooooooo much better than gloss. gloss we get more of a grainer look, matte just prints nice every time all the time.

J

john1

yeah, agree with john1......matte prints sooooooo much better than gloss. gloss we get more of a grainer look, matte just prints nice every time all the time.

Yeah man, I don't know why but man it's nice to run a job on high speed and have it look amazing. Saves time and ink also.

This way you can get a great looking print and laminate it with a gloss laminate and you would never know what kind of vinyl you printed on.