• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will they never learn?

phototec

What is wrong with these people, they have everything going for them and insist on killing themselves with drugs?

I was in Vietnam just completing my 18 month extended tour in 1970 when we got word that Jimi Hendrix died after a night of drugs and drinking, then right after coming home Janis Joplin died in October of a drug overdose. The next year we lost Jim Morrison in France 1971.

And now Philip Seymour Hoffman, like Cory Monteith, heroin overdose.

We have lost so many young talented people to drug abuse, will they never learn?

Amy Winehouse, Jim Morrison, John Belushi, and the list goes on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_drug-related_deaths

:frustrated:

C

ColoPrinthead

I hold the belief that smart and talented people feel alone in a world of average and less than average individuals and seek any escape from that feeling that they can find.

As someone who has lost at least one good friend to heroin, it is painful to hear of anyone losing their life to drugs.

royster13

There were over 10,000 drunk driving fatalities in North America last year and that hardly gets mentioned.....Some "stars" do self inflicted damage to themselves and it is headline news....IMO something is wrong with this picture.....

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I didn't realize he was 46 - I thought mid 50's at least.
Wonder how this will effect the ongoing marijuana legalization debate.

wayne k
guam usa

Biker Scout

Guaranteed, that the first person to die from THC overdose will get his own strain named after him and it will become wildly popular!

"Hey man, did you hear about that guy who locked himself in a room and swore that he was going to kill himself just from smoking weed?"

"Nah man, what happened?"

"Well, get this... he actually did die... but he had to smoke like 100 pounds or something in less than 3 hours. I think they said it was the lack of oxygen that killed him it wasn't the weed, though."

"Bummer man. What was he smoking anyway?"

"Oh, it's what we are smoking, man... it's called Tom Jenkins RIP"

"F'n RIGHTEOUS MAN!!"

"I know, far out!"

Snydo

Every journey begins with a first step.

wayne k
guam usa

The whole "gateway drug" thing is so overplayed, and it is almost always linked to marijauna.
I cannot speak for anyone else on this forum, but most of my poor decisions(and loss of inhibitions) were the results of pounding some brewskies or cheap canadian whiskey.

Life is full of choices, just because your a celebrity doesnt make you immune to making bad ones. Heroin, no matter who you are, is a BAD choice. According to USA Today that particular strain of heroin has killed dozens of people in the last several months.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
The whole "gateway drug" thing is so overplayed, and it is almost always linked to marijauna.
I cannot speak for anyone else on this forum, but most of my poor decisions(and loss of inhibitions) were the results of pounding some brewskies or cheap canadian whiskey.

Life is full of choices, just because your a celebrity doesnt make you immune to making bad ones. Heroin, no matter who you are, is a BAD choice. According to USA Today that particular strain of heroin has killed dozens of people in the last several months.

I can agree with what you said. Adults can and should make their own decisions then suffer the resulting consequences or rewards.
The sticky part comes from how individual decisions effect others. Kids take their lead from their peers, family & people in the media.
I think alcohol could be moved to the top of the gateway drugs list but marijuana should near the top.
The island culture here has been supplanted by drinking & smoking and neither is doing much good for the local families here.

wayne k
guam usa

Biker Scout

That's very common with isolationism. If there weren't a drop to drink, nor a bud to smoke, the idle mind, coupled with teen angst and other emotions that pertain to coming into one's own... they would find some sort of other self destructive or show-off behavior to be involved in.

What adults ought to be doing is pulling these kids in and teaching them something. A life skill, a trade anything. But we allow them to do whatever and express themselves in these odd behaviors and dismiss it as being a teen. The kids that have something constructive to do, whether it's sports or a hobby that involves learning and building skills always seem to make it into adulthood just fine. The others just end up being duchebags, because hey... their parent(s) wanted to be their friend.

phototec

No one has ever OD'd on marijuana... ever.

Really, how many high school kids start off getting high with heroin?

Weed is the stepping stone onto almost all other drugs, then at the end of the trail your on heroin, and that my friend is the killer.

You have to start somewhere, just because you do the weed and think it's ok, doesn't mean your not GOING to eventually move up the ladder!

[video=youtube;OVc4P-k6vXI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVc4P-k6vXI[/video]

Biker Scout

The only people who I know that are admitted smokers (which I'm not one of them) are of the variety that if it grows out of the ground it can't be all that bad for you. And they shun man made chemicals and anything altered from it's natural state. There are many like that. Other drug users are just bored and want to enter other realms and mind altered states... and yeah, weed is kind of lame sauce when you have those goals to achieve. It's still self destructive behavior. Like I said above. The people who are going to get f'd up are going to get f'd up. Period. They will find a way. Whether it be from bath salts or a chemical concoction of pharmaceuticals and gasoline... they will find a way to tune out their reality. Laws or no laws. The sooner we realize that, the sooner we can get on with our lives and helping those who are addicted to find new meaning and purpose in their lives.

Pat Whatley

Weed is the stepping stone onto almost all other drugs...
Man, my wife is a drug rehab counselor and we argue that all the time. You know why they say weed is a gateway drug? They ask people who use cocaine or heroin if they've ever smoked weed. If they say yes then weed is the culprit....lets just ignore the fact that a majority of the people who smoke weed never try anything harder. Heck, they could ask every heroin addict if they've ever eaten at McDonalds and come up with the same results.

The real reason weed is a "gateway drug" is that it fuels the whole government funded rehab industry, and the government funded war on drugs, and the government funded penal system.

And no, I've never touched the stuff.

Biker Scout

HAHA! Hit the nail on the head, Pat.

We can all be assured that Phillip Seymore Hoffman had hit up a few McDonald's in his time. He just has that addictive personality. Which is partly why is was such a good actor. Delving into the darkest recesses of the mind isn't for the sane and square bears. It's dark, lonely and sad, and sometimes it's hard to come back to reality using that method.

InstantOneMedia

Man, my wife is a drug rehab counselor and we argue that all the time. You know why they say weed is a gateway drug? They ask people who use cocaine or heroin if they've ever smoked weed. If they say yes then weed is the culprit....lets just ignore the fact that a majority of the people who smoke weed never try anything harder. Heck, they could ask every heroin addict if they've ever eaten at McDonalds and come up with the same results.

The real reason weed is a "gateway drug" is that it fuels the whole government funded rehab industry, and the government funded war on drugs, and the government funded penal system.

And no, I've never touched the stuff.

I agree, if you take marijuana out of the equation, they would find another gateway to pass through to escape from their reality. That is what it comes down to. They are trying to escape their present moment searching for the serenity they felt the first time w/ heroin, crack, pot, alcohol, oxy, sugar, food, sex, gambling, shopping, etc . . .

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
The real loss isn't to people who liked his acting. He should be no more important to us than the guy down the street who dies.
You know who he was VERY important to...his 3 children. That's what breaks my heart. They are the ones with the huge loss.
They have no daddy to help them as they grow up. I get watery eyes when I think of children who losing parents.