• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will this work-salvaging old material?

swannisl

I have a customer who has an old sheet of MDO (1 sided) and he asked if we could paint/prime the back to use for the new graphics - a full 4x8 digital print. Obviously I'm trying to push him in the direction of new material for a couple of reasons - 1: the finished product will look 100% better & last longer and 2: I don't even think the material will adhere to the second side even if we do paint it. Does anyone know if the material will adhere and if so do we just need to prime & paint? Thanks for the help & all of the great info on this site!

Jillbeans

Tell him he will have as much in cost after paying for your labor and materials to prep the old piece as he would if he ordered a new sign.
That's how I avoid this problem when I can.
Love....Jill

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not sure what you mean by one-sided ??

MDO makes a product that actually looks like rough plywood on the backside. If that's what he has.... forget it.

Otherwise...... scrape his panel with a putty knife.... 5 minutes...... then a coat of good paint........ 10 minutes and $3.00 worth of paint....

A new sheet will cost at least $45. then you have to prime it and paint it with a few coats. You'll easily have an additional $165.00 cost invested for your customer.

You do the math.

swannisl

Thanks Jill, that was my plan. I would rather use Alumalite anyway since it's going to be a long term sign and in a very visable location. New material, apply the graphic, laminate...no time at all. Prep. the old material, etc. too much time!

Pat Whatley

If it's the pre-finished single sided MDO with the OPP backer forget about it. Paint won't stick to it even though it looks like you could just roll it on and be okay. If he's going to be that cheap just letter coro and silicone it over the front side. It will look like ass but it'll be cheaper.

Patrick46

If he's gonna be THAT cheap with his signboard...then you've got bigger issues with this customer.

If this was going to be a seasonal sign for the backdrop of the local baseball park, then that's a different story. But if it's going on his business.....???

I sho customers like this right outta my shop. If they don't want something nice that's going to work well for them, is going to last for any ammout of time, and is going to be a good investment for their business, (oh, and it has to look good too)...then they're in the wrong place!

TheSnowman

I had a guy that just wanted to bring me his "prepped board" that he'd painted, and let me apply the stuff to it...and he needed it in a hurry. Well, his paint, was stain, and it sat a whopping two hours or so before he brought it by. I printed everything to go on it, let it sit over night, came in the next day...still totally wet, and again STAIN. I had told him this was a long shot to start, but called him up instantly and told him he'd better just buckle down and buy a real board from me. He did, and was much happier with it in the end.