Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will vinyl adhere to galvanized steel?

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by jsmoritz2000, Oct 16, 2012.

1. jsmoritz2000

jsmoritz2000 Very Active Member

I have a simple question for you guys and girls. Do the majority of outdoor vinyl solvent based adhesives adhere properly to galvanized steel assuming the steel is clean and relatively smooth? I'm just wondering if any known reactions occur when vinyl graphics are applied to galvanized steel.

Tags:
  2. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    I dont see why not I would attempt it

3. JTBoh

JTBoh I sell signage and signage accessories.

Jun 15, 2011
    Clermont, FL
    galv steel is hard as hell to paint due to the coating on it, can't recall what it is - need to buy a special primer just to have a chance at that.

I'd have concerns about that.

4. GVP

GVP Active Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Swift Current, SK
    If you're talking just raw unpainted galv. And it's clean and smooth, vinyl sticks well. We used to do a ton on galvanized until we switched to aluminum composite. Degreasing is the key.

5. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    +1
    make sure you post heat to ensure a good bite from the vinyl

6. jsmoritz2000

jsmoritz2000 Very Active Member

Thanks for all the comments so far. I definitely have some concerns so I figured what better place to ask.