• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will vinyl stick to signacade?

SIGNTIME

specifically Oracal 3551, We don't have a signacade in stock currently so i cannot test this but we do have a job and part of it is to apply vinyl to a section of the a frame the customer has.

Mosh

never heard of the heat thing...I could never get it to stick, might try that. I use the simpo sign stand that you can slide different panels into....good selling point.

Billct2

We don't do it much anymore, usually use panels, but the recommendation was to flame treat it.
Take a propane torch and run it over the surface several times in different directions (like you were spray
painting it). You can actually see the "blush" as it changes it.

omgsideburns

Here are the instructions for flame treating the Plasticade products...

Attachments

• Signicade-Plasticade-flame-treat.pdf
    381.7 KB · Views: 216

sdodson1

They nailed it, flame treat it, sometimes called crazing the surface. We do it all the time on coolers and any resistant plastics like the signicade and 4 wheelers too

mnapuran

Yup... we clean with denatured alcohol and then 70% alcohol (when new), then heat with torch. We even use the lower tack Oracal on it with no real issues... just post heat after installing

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Yes,

It's called Corona treating.

Flame the print area with a Bernzomatic Torch, quick wipe w/ alcohol to prep.
apply print, flame/heat perimeter of print to bond.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
It's far simpler to just put the copy on a panel. The price difference between going through all of the heating nonsense with its attendant risk and the additional panels should be pretty close to a wash. No one has ever melted or otherwise damaged one of these things screwing on a panel.

Jillbeans

I just use panels.
I don't like to play with fire, and the nice thing about panels is that you can upsell them to a second lettering option on the reverse.
Love....Jill

Tom Dalton

specifically Oracal 3551, We don't have a signacade in stock currently so i cannot test this but we do have a job and part of it is to apply vinyl to a section of the a frame the customer has.

We're a supplier of Signicades and have a reseller pricing for sign shops. Just this week were making a video on preparing the signicade for vinyl and it should be available soon. You can NOT use individual cut letters. You've got to use one large decal. If you need to cut individual letters, then you'd need to put those letters onto the signicade after a larger retangular sheet of vinyl was applied to the sign area. You need to flame treat the surface and wipe it with alcohol just prior to installing vinyl. The "flame treatment" sounds more complicated than it is. Like the other person said; you can always make your sign on corrugated plastic or an aluminum panel and attach that panel to the signicade.

-Tom
SignsDirect

Flame

It's far simpler to just put the copy on a panel. The price difference between going through all of the heating nonsense with its attendant risk and the additional panels should be pretty close to a wash. No one has ever melted or otherwise damaged one of these things screwing on a panel.

Haha it takes like 30 seconds. It's common practice for coolers, garbage cans, atv plastic, porta-poddies etc. You need to burn up the oils and the mold release that's left on the plastic. Any injection molded plastic piece you run into, you should run the flame treatment on.

Billct2

You can NOT use individual cut letters
Yes you can. Here's one we did which was used for years and we changed the dates each years. All cut vinyl.

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 147

Tom Dalton

Here is that YouTube video showing flame treating.

[video=youtube;Gff_6RnlBoc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gff_6RnlBoc[/video]

You may get individual cut letters to stick right onto the polyethylene, but the manufacturer recommends against it.

Tom
SignsDirect

Last edited by a moderator:

TheSnowman

I was thinking I'd even used removable 3621 on them before, but I KNOW I normally use 3651 and haven't had one problem.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Aluminum Panels, screwed in with painted #8 lath screws. Easy to change out, customer buys a frame once, comes back for new panels. And Ditto on what Jill said....second side graphics per panel.

johnnysigns

Anyone successfully add full coverage graphics to dirtbikes/quads doing this? I'd love to put new stuff on my 450R.