• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wind Slits

K2

Need some help! doing a 3'x30' street banner and city regulation says it has to have wind slits but gives no specification on how far apart or how many. I was thinking about every 3' left to right with 2 rows high and staggering the 2 rows. Is this to many or not enough. Any suggestions?

J Hill Designs

I was at costco yesterday and there was a little banner that was probably 12"x30" or something - installed indoors - and it had tiny wind slits in it - I was baffled - wish I had my phone on me

HulkSmash

Need some help! doing a 3'x30' street banner and city regulation says it has to have wind slits but gives no specification on how far apart or how many. I was thinking about every 3' left to right with 2 rows high and staggering the 2 rows. Is this to many or not enough. Any suggestions?

That will work fine.

Here you go these are pretty much Federal regulations for street and pole banners.

Never had one fail and they always look great....

Attachments

• Banner Application 02252010 3.pdf
    71 KB · Views: 118

Latigo

The way to make a wind louvre without worrying about the large banner ripping is to use a round 3/8" diameter hobby soldering iron Put the holes 6 to 10" apart, use a shop knife and start at the bottom center of the first hole, make a downward "D" swoop and end up in the bottom middle of the second hole leaving a "D" shaped hanging flap. The round holes with the edges sealed with the soldering iron stop the banner from tearing. Stagger the "D"s top to bottom.

We have a banner used by the City of Lakeside thats 10 years old now and it comes in every year for a date change. This banner is a stitched, grommeted, corner reinforced, roped 28 oz, 36" x 60' banner that stretches across main street during the fall celebrations. Still holding up in the worst winds with no tears.

Si Allen

What a waste of time and effort to make a perfectly good banner look ugly!

In that drawing ( 3.5 ft X 30 ft banner ) you are adding 20 6in semi circular cuts that produce just under 2 square feet of open area.

That is just under 2 % reduction in wind resistance.

Do you really think that will make a difference in a heavy wind?

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Craig Sjoquist

Agrees Mesh is better these days.
In defense of wind slits they work, they help banner last IF not put correctly or over long time period or large & more then a few sq. ft.
( 6ft by 12 ft banner placed on both sides of back lighted can grommets and screwed in place every 9" ) less then 6 mths still ripped away NO WIND SLITS both sides.
I have had them last 3 years with still in decent shape.

Drip Dry

Make sure you make the slits so that the cut is on the bottom. If on the top, the holes will be open all the time due to gravity

Latigo

Answwering for my 60'er, I don't know. You'd have to ask the long time users in Lakeside that keep bringing it back year after year, and Lakeside does get strong winds.

What a waste of time and effort to make a perfectly good banner look ugly!

In that drawing ( 3.5 ft X 30 ft banner ) you are adding 20 6in semi circular cuts that produce just under 2 square feet of open area.

That is just under 2 % reduction in wind resistance.

Do you really think that will make a difference in a heavy wind?

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Last edited: