• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

window frosting + printed logo

catalyzer

Hi all,

I’ve a customer wants to have his company logo printed and the door window frosted. He wants both logo and frosted vinyl inside the office. So meaning that I’ve to install the reversed print logo first then only apply the frosted vinyl. I’ve a few questions here.

Transparent media is the only way to do it right?
Do I have to contour cut the logo out (there are some lettering) or make them one whole piece (rectangular shape)?
How do you guys do it normally?

Thanks.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Have you tried running it through your solvent? I've printed on cut vinyl with a Mutoh VJ at my old job, so it may work for the frosted also.

If not you can always knock out the graphics and install as 2 separate pieces.

catalyzer

if the metamark etch/frost film can be printed, i will tell my customer that it will be applied outside of the office. i will get some samples and test it.

Wiggum PI

you shouldn't have any probs printing on the frosted, but whether you reverse print and apply to inside, or normal print for outside application it's gonna look a bit washed out without the white point of normal print on material. So defo do some samples to see if the result is gonna be good enough.

Chris.

MikePro

printing on clear, laminating with frosted vinyl, and applying second-surface to glass/plexi is sexy.

rjssigns

We've printed on window film for our friend/client with our Roland. Can get a real nice stained glass effect. There are a ton of frosted and textured films available to a window film installer. They take the eco-sols real well. Plus they are a wet install, turn out flawless.

Stuckup

Vinyl cut logo in reverse or printed on clear backed up in white, installed to glass. Float frosted over top, as reverse printing on frosting is mostly lost upon install if seen from outside. If you want sublime, printing on Etch is awesome. Horses for courses.

Stuckup

We've printed on window film for our friend/client with our Roland. Can get a real nice stained glass effect. There are a ton of frosted and textured films available to a window film installer. They take the eco-sols real well. Plus they are a wet install, turn out flawless.

Yes yes, window Tinters are the best Lays. You obviously know window Tint ETCH is way cheaper than Sign Vinyl etch lol, and just as good, my first job in window etch on my own was 10k, and now I know why they said yes, I was half price, quoting tint prices for window sign job. I made 5k profit, not including wages, lol, I basically worked for free.

quint1444

I know this is an old thread, but I am a window tinter. I am looking for an ink that will print on polyester films. Right now I print on a 3M frosted vinyl or clear when needed. Vinyls really suck for a large picture, as the vinyl tends to stretch a bit when pulling the liner off. This isn't a big deal when it's 1 piece, but when doing conference rooms of butt glass it makes me nervous. I like the strength of the films. Hate that I can't print on them with a durable ink. I had the sepiax guys print on it, but it scratches right off. I could laminate, but that defeats the purpose on a cost basis. Film is cheaper... BTW, the 3M I had printed was with a solvent ink. Anyone have any other ideas?