Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Window Graphics Trimming

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by dlndesign, Jun 20, 2011.

1. dlndesign

dlndesign Active Member

Dec 10, 2007
    San Diego, Ca
    I have a client that had a few vehicles wrapped, they complained that the window perf was coming up when they washed, so we changed the last job to trim back the window perf and then we applied a clear 1/4" border around the edge to keep the graphics from lifting up. They love it now I need to do the remainder of the windows. I am looking for a clean way to do this without scratching there windows with a blade. Does anyone recommend a tool or technique that I can accomplish this with? Thanks.

Tags:
  2. klemgraphics

klemgraphics Active Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Midwest
    Whatever you do be sure to use a sharp stainless steel blade, carbon steel will scratch the glass.

3. dlndesign

dlndesign Active Member

Dec 10, 2007
    San Diego, Ca
    Thanks for the tip. Does anyone else recommend a tool for this?

4. Finishline Signs

Finishline Signs Active Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Crestview, FL
    Fellers did sell a knife with a guide on it specifically for this. I bought one a few years ago, it works really well if the edge of the window or trim is thick enough.

5. johnnysigns

johnnysigns Very Active Member

Nov 3, 2004
    East Coast
    Lately I just rubber band or tape two stainless Olfa blades together. One's obviously offset and is the guide so you can follow the window contour.

6. racer734

racer734 New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    what we do is just rest the blade on the side of your finger and run your finger around the outside edge of the window, basically giving you a 1/4inch all the way around. Sounds like your applying quite abit of pressure if your scratching the heck out of the window.

7. racer734

racer734 New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    what we do is just rest the blade on the side of your finger and run your finger around the outside edge of the window, basically giving you a 1/4inch all the way around. then apply the edge tape. Sounds like your applying quite a bit of pressure if your scratching the heck out of the window.

8. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    We don't worry about the scratches, the perf will cover these up for the most part. If the window is too bad we made some "This vehicle equipt with unique window etching as a security measure" stickers. It's when we cut through the glass that problems arise, as the window become that much smaller and doesn't fully close anymore. Then we have to explain that glass is a constantly moving substance and yours must have moved 1/4" down.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011