Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help window perf failure

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by mike wilson, Sep 17, 2019.

1. mike wilson

mike wilson New Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Ontario California
    I need some help!!

We are having trouble with a project that requires window perf. We have installed this film 3 times and it continues to fall off within hours. We originally thought that the glass was cleaned with a simple green or a silicon based product so we cleaned/scrubbed the windows with Alcohol and a scrubbing sponge. We tested adhesion with a few 12x12 squares of perf and it seems to adhere really well. We then installed new perf on the glass and it fell off within an hour. We have no idea why this is happening and we need to find a resolution. The perf we used is a clear focus with no lamination.
    Does anyone have a solution for this issue, have anyone had this happen? Please let me know your thoughts.

Attached Files:

2. Greg Kelm

Greg Kelm Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Is there an anti-graffiti film on the windows?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mike wilson

mike wilson New Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Ontario California
    No there is not.

4. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    This could be the invisible culprit!

5. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Are you watching it fall off? or just returning to it on the ground?

6. Greg Kelm

Greg Kelm Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Glass may be ceramic coated to prevent water spots...

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Hmmm, test some standard vinyl for 24hrs?

8. mike wilson

mike wilson New Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Ontario California
    That we don’t know. I assume that this is done at the factory. Is there any way to get around this is there is ceramic coating?

9. Greg Kelm

Greg Kelm Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Rancho Cucamonga
  10. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    wow, that's crazy. It literally just fell off, i thought you meant it was like peeling at the edges. It 100% has some type of coasting that doesn't allow the adhesive to activate.

11. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    You could always run the print on clear, mirrored, then order white back perf, stick both on the inside of the window, and find out if the inside is coated as well...

12. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

It's obviously a repellent coating. Best to find out from the owner what they had put on the windows.

13. mike wilson

mike wilson New Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Ontario California
    Thank you all for you help. I went back out today and cleaned the windows with 99% alcohol and used a window film squeegee. I allowed the perf and it seemed to hold up well. Thursday I’ll go back out clean the windows again with water/dawn soap and then again with 99% alcohol.
    I will post the outcome when done. Fingers crossed.

14. CSOCSO

CSOCSO I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.

Jul 18, 2012
    Florida
    I don't like cleaning the windows with alcohol before I stick anything. It doesn't matter if its perf or calendared lettering. Even the brown masking tape won't stick to no window surface if I cleaned it with alcohol. (denatured alcohol).
    I also have an extremely hard time peeling off the transfer tape if I do lettering on windows since it pulls the lettering off too. I use degreaser (diluted 10-1) and it makes everything stick a LOT better. You can also try primer 94 around the edges next time. Also different perf vinyl perhaps?

15. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

If you are cleaning things before applying vinyl, use isopropyl alcohol, not denatured.

Also, for cleaning windows, you can use acetone. That's what window installers use. However with acetone you have to watch for acetone damaging things it runs onto, like paint and plastic. The same is true of denatured alcohol. It can remove paint.

16. OPENSignsInc.

OPENSignsInc. Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Greenville, PA
    I'm friends with a guy that does window tint, and he pointed me to cleaning windows last with dirt-off window film solution and a window squeegee (no paper towels) to great effect. The last couple windows that I did and had to remove later, I've had to scrape off.
    I also prefer to use briteline 65/35 window perf.

17. Modern Ink Signs

Modern Ink Signs Premium Subscriber

Jun 27, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    I’m sure you did but just in case.....

Check your perf. We just had a few areas at the end of a roll where there was no/very little adhesive in very large sections!

Are you on site when they are falling off?

18. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    In the hundreds of stores I've done perf wraps I've never run into this. I've had them peel at the corners and then later I discovered I didn't get all the "greasy" feeling off.. so I use iso alch. and rub it off which fixes it.

Really weird whats going on with your situation

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1