• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help window perf failure

mike wilson

I need some help!!

We are having trouble with a project that requires window perf. We have installed this film 3 times and it continues to fall off within hours. We originally thought that the glass was cleaned with a simple green or a silicon based product so we cleaned/scrubbed the windows with Alcohol and a scrubbing sponge. We tested adhesion with a few 12x12 squares of perf and it seems to adhere really well. We then installed new perf on the glass and it fell off within an hour. We have no idea why this is happening and we need to find a resolution. The perf we used is a clear focus with no lamination.
Does anyone have a solution for this issue, have anyone had this happen? Please let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_2704.JPG
    IMG_2704.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 367
  • IMG_2703.JPG
    IMG_2703.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 325

HulkSmash

wow, that's crazy. It literally just fell off, i thought you meant it was like peeling at the edges. It 100% has some type of coasting that doesn't allow the adhesive to activate.

mike wilson

Thank you all for you help. I went back out today and cleaned the windows with 99% alcohol and used a window film squeegee. I allowed the perf and it seemed to hold up well. Thursday I’ll go back out clean the windows again with water/dawn soap and then again with 99% alcohol.
I will post the outcome when done. Fingers crossed.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
I don't like cleaning the windows with alcohol before I stick anything. It doesn't matter if its perf or calendared lettering. Even the brown masking tape won't stick to no window surface if I cleaned it with alcohol. (denatured alcohol).
I also have an extremely hard time peeling off the transfer tape if I do lettering on windows since it pulls the lettering off too. I use degreaser (diluted 10-1) and it makes everything stick a LOT better. You can also try primer 94 around the edges next time. Also different perf vinyl perhaps?

unclebun

If you are cleaning things before applying vinyl, use isopropyl alcohol, not denatured.

Also, for cleaning windows, you can use acetone. That's what window installers use. However with acetone you have to watch for acetone damaging things it runs onto, like paint and plastic. The same is true of denatured alcohol. It can remove paint.

OPENSignsInc.

I'm friends with a guy that does window tint, and he pointed me to cleaning windows last with dirt-off window film solution and a window squeegee (no paper towels) to great effect. The last couple windows that I did and had to remove later, I've had to scrape off.
I also prefer to use briteline 65/35 window perf.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
I’m sure you did but just in case.....

Check your perf. We just had a few areas at the end of a roll where there was no/very little adhesive in very large sections!

Are you on site when they are falling off?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
In the hundreds of stores I've done perf wraps I've never run into this. I've had them peel at the corners and then later I discovered I didn't get all the "greasy" feeling off.. so I use iso alch. and rub it off which fixes it.

Really weird whats going on with your situation