• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Perf... Laminate?

Jonzed

Newby here. Should window perf be laminated? I have a store front to quote.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2B

both of these questions have been asked before, best to do a search function.

if you laminate it MUST be optically clear cast lamination or you will have zero visibility

juan.runnells

Production Manager Wide Format
We quote both to our customers.

As per manufacturers, perf is generally only guaranteed for a year.

That having been said, it can last longer, both laminated and unlaminated on flat applications.

Some questions you should ask:

Is this a high traffic area?

If so, yes laminate and seal edges with tape this will protect from scuffing etc. If laminated edge seal IS mandatory.

Is it protected from intense elements?

If so you probably don't need laminate. Although I will dab 3m primer in corners and along edges. Don't go crazy.

Does it receive direct sunlight for the majority of the day?

In this case it depends on the intended duration, although not guaranteed over a year most business owners will expect longer, to prevent fading laminate and edge seal

Also if you'd like to achieve a more vivid print, a gloss laminate makes the print pop more.

And yes I suggest an optically clear laminate, however on flat windows a clear will also work, you can still see, however it will be slightly more hazy. Optically clear is a necessity for automotive installs for safety reasons.

It's a value added so offer the options. And listen to your customers, ask the right questions.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

ikarasu

If so, yes laminate and seal edges with tape this will protect from scuffing etc. If laminated edge seal IS mandatory.

How come? (Genuinely asking). We only perf some temp graphics in the summer... Maybe 30-40 town halls / citi centers, We always laminate with optically clear, but we've never edge sealed it. We also do the local hospital, that one stays up for a good 6-8 months, then we go and change it to something else. Usually it's another guy going and pulling them down, so I can't say for sure the citi center ones don't peel, but I'm 100% sure the hospital ones we put up never peel, or even start to peel. And that's about 9-10 panels about 48" x 120".

The tapes cheap enough that it's not a problem doing it... I just never heard of edge sealing it before, so we never did.

juan.runnells

Well, background, our shop is in Ottawa Canada, we have an extreme variety of weather.

If you laminate perforated and the trim it, you have little half moon areas where the laminate is raised from the window. Once moisture gets in there it can migrate under the perf and failures begin to occur.

whereas if it is not laminated, moisture is exposed to everything equally and when conditions dry, the moisture evaporates.

In essence you've created tiny water pockets by laminating and not sealing with tape.

juan.runnells

Also it sounds like your doing it for the summer and it is short to midterm term then comes down if that's the case no need. If it's going to be up indefinitely. I would suggest taping