• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Perf Leaving ink speckles.

MMPLarge Format

Three years ago when I first started installing graphics, I installed a window perf graphic at a hotel. It had full coverage with black and red ink printed on an HP Latex 360. I just went out today to replace the graphic with something new. It removed surprisingly well considering it had experienced three Texas summers in direct sunlight. Although I noticed it left little speckles of ink on the window that I can't get off. Now I know that the ink gets laid in to the open holes and onto the backer when it is printed on but shouldn't most of that come off with the liner? Is there any way I minimize the amount of ink that gets stuck to the window? It wasn't an issue today considering I was just going to cover it back up, but some day they will not want to have anything up there and I can't have years of built up ink stuck to their window with no way of getting it off. Any ideas for prevention/removal of these ink spots?

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
Are you sure its ink that is in the holes? Was it laminated? You said it was red/black ink... do you see any red ink migrating to the holes as well. I suspect that if its not laminated, that there may be debris, pollution, or something that has accumulated in the holes. Do you see it uniformly across the glass where the holes are or is it sporadic?.

MMPLarge Format

JimMoorePDS It was not laminated. But yeah I'm pretty certain it was ink. Wherever there was red print there was red speckles on the window and wherever there was black ink there were black speckles on the window. Do you think laminating would solve that issue?

JBurton Its printed on Latex. Yeah I've noticed the same thing which is why I have been hesitant to laminate perf in the past. But if the ink is just going to somehow fill those holes anyway and adhere to the window than I'm not entirely sure what to do about that. My best theory is that not all the ink that is laid down in the holes is being removed with the liner? Maybe the ink is kind of webbed in those holes and then once I apply it to the window somehow the ink just adheres to the window.