• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window perf...... to laminate or not?

TimToad

Any general consensus on how often or under what conditions most of you laminate window perf?

I've got a fairly big job consisting of 11 56" x 80" panels, so it might be worth it. I'm waiting on word about where they ill be installed and how long they expect them to be up.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I believe the general consensus is to laminate. It's easier to install and when it rains the water doesn't get caught in the holes and render the "view thru" features useless.

DesireeM

I believe the general consensus is to laminate. It's easier to install and when it rains the water doesn't get caught in the holes and render the "view thru" features useless.

This. And even when it's not raining the holes will accumulate dust and dirt and that will kill the view-thru as well. The laminate also makes the ink saturation last longer and UV protects it.

I suggest using a laminate that has roughly the same lifespan as your perf though. Using a 4yr lam on a 1yr perf is just a waste.

TimToad

Thanks, a lot of the perfs we do are very temporary, so we skip it, but these are both huge and I just found out they will be up at least a year.

CanuckSigns

if it's goin on a vehicle, it get laminated with optically clear laminate. if it's goin on a storefront window it doesn't get laminated, perf is a temporary product anyway, no need for laminate.

Baz

if it's goin on a vehicle, it get laminated with optically clear laminate. if it's goin on a storefront window it doesn't get laminated, perf is a temporary product anyway, no need for laminate.

That's my thinking as well.

Also ... To make installing non laminated window perf easyer, premask it. That way you can use a hard squeegee and really press it down.

bigben

I've never laminated any window perf (store or car) and never had complaint/problem. I have store windows that still look good after 7 years.

Christian @ 2CT Media

This is a Loaded question.... I firmly stand on the no laminate side of things, but others are firmly a laminate everything type.

Do what works for your company, I'm in AZ and have no laminate window perf on my truck and its going on year 3 and the colors are still vibrant.

visual800

Laminated perfs just do not look good to me, at least gloss. I did a little somn different on a customer bout 2 years ago. i ordered the perf from signs365, got it in and lightly misted a few coats of automotive clearcoat on it. It still looks great today and its for a lawn dude and hes always out and about.

we also did this storefront 2.5 years ago and still holding up, it faces east so Im sure that helps, no laminate on it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 255

TimToad

My primary reason for thinking about laminating them is their size and being able to not premask them because the lam will make them easier to handle. That being said though, I wasn't asked for an install price, so maybe I'm worrying over someone's hassle.

Not gonna lose sleep over it until they call and give go ahead and tell me who is actually installing them.