• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window perf too transparent

Billct2

We did a window perf job inside a "see thru" trophy case, the case is in a wall between two rooms with glass on both sides. They wanted to be able to still see out of the back room but gain some privacy and not block the light. I was concerned if it would work the way they wanted and it doesn't. Since the room behind the trophy case has lights on the effect is washed out. They don't want to completely block out the light so I was going to try backing up the perf with something to see if we can make it work. I was considering window tint or translucent white vinyl.
Anyone tried anything like that? I have a feeling we will be replacing with a print on white translucent but want to try salvaging this first.
Thanks for any suggestions.

papabud

Lone Wolf
you could tint the window or use a frosted glass vinyl.
depends on the final look they want. a frosted glass will block less light and make it more private

MikePro

you don't get full effect of perforated graphics, unless one side of the glass is darker than the other. just like in the TVshows/Movies, where someone flips on the lightswitch in the room behind the oneway glass.... you see everything.

frost the window with something like 3M 7725 Dusted Crystal, and then you can't see-through but light will still pass.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Did you use the right perf? Like a 70/30 or 80/20? If you use lower than that it does become too transparent (which is optimal for vehicle windows).

GB2

Old Member
Absolutely Bill, put some dark window tint on the back side and it will do what you want it too. The Dusted or Frosted is an interesting idea too, I never tried that but the tint has definitely solved the same problem for me multiple times