• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Perf vinyl sticking to middle layer

donkur

Just printed and laminated some window perf on a latex printer. Seems there is the backing paper, then a thin piece of plastic (a coating on the paper so the vinyl can peel away from it), then the perforated vinyl. The thin piece of plastic in between the paper and window perf, seems to be breaking apart and sticking the the vinyl when we pull it apart from the paper. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it faulty window perf or was the heat too high when printed?

papabud

Lone Wolf
dd you conture cut the perf?
when is it breaking apart
i have had some perf do something like that before. its normally when applying it and i peel the backer off.
its never created a problem a little pick with a knife to pull of the broken backer and it removes clean.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
That is a dual liner perf and it sounds like the second liner is breaking down, from old age probably. I would try a new roll.

donkur

dd you conture cut the perf?
when is it breaking apart
i have had some perf do something like that before. its normally when applying it and i peel the backer off.
its never created a problem a little pick with a knife to pull of the broken backer and it removes clean.
No, not contour cut.

donkur

That is a dual liner perf and it sounds like the second liner is breaking down, from old age probably. I would try a new roll.
Thanks, kind of wondering that. New roll to me a few weeks ago...
Think I will be ordering a different brand.
Thanks.

InstantOneMedia

Or it could just be a defective liner. Switching brands is wise. But you should call your supplier and have them replace the roll. You're probably not the only person this is happening to and I bet the whole lot of material is doing the same thing. If you wind up ordering the same brand, tell your supplier to make sure to send the roll from a different lot since it is probably happening to multiple rolls from that batch.

donkur

Or it could just be a defective liner. Switching brands is wise. But you should call your supplier and have them replace the roll. You're probably not the only person this is happening to and I bet the whole lot of material is doing the same thing. If you wind up ordering the same brand, tell your supplier to make sure to send the roll from a different lot since it is probably happening to multiple rolls from that batch.
Had to lower the temperature 40 degrees! Printed beautifully then. Thanks.

Malkin

Glad you found a solution.
We started having the same issue a few years back with multiplr rolls of the FDC label, spent hours peeling that stuff of the adhesive....
We just switched to 3M cast instead. We dont do a lot of perf, and the cast goes down easier on compound curved glass, and I am more confident that it will stay down.