Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Window Perf Virgin

Discussion in 'Installation Equipment & Techniques' started by Billct2, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    We've been asked to install some window graphics printed on perf, no laminate. Since we have never done this befor eI have som evey basic questions...
    These are going on the outside of the windows about 4'x5' each window.
    I have done some searching and see that there is wet vs dry debate with
    window perf graphics just like regular vinyl. Which do you recommend?
    We do most graphics dry.
    Any special tools/squeeges needed? Any special techiques?
    When I estmate the time is it comparable to installing regular vinyl?
    Thanks for any assistance.

Tags:
  2. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Applying window perf without lam is pretty easy to do dry, a good felt tip squeege will help and you will also want to put some edge seal around the whole graphic to insure no edge lifting. You should be able to install the perf faster then regular vinyl so I would say use the same calculations. Clear Focus has some cool instal tips below and if you need perf Im your guy!

http://clearfocus.com/tech_support/installation.php

3. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Thanks Bigfish. We're just installing, they're getting the graphics from one of their product line's vendors

4. aaronJREgraphics

aaronJREgraphics Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Yep i agree with bigfish perf without lam is gravy goes faster than regular vinyl id use a good felt squeeg or one with glass tape both work great and i always seal the edge of my perfs with 3/8 inch 3m 8518 lam rolls it works great....good luck!

5. Scott Reynolds

Scott Reynolds Active Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Ive heard putting non laminated window perf on dry will give you lots and lots of bubbles. Im just saying... :thumb:

6. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over

Thats a joke right?? Lol its pretty hard to get air bubbles in non laminated perf.

7. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Only danger in dry is the possibility of stetching due to no lam. Wet app with no lam gives you the ability to move and reposition easily.

8. matrue

matrue Member

Jul 13, 2012
    a laminate on the graphic makes it so much easier for install..Just though I would put it out there.

9. fmg

fmg Verboten

Dec 14, 2009
    install dry very easy.No need to apply contra vision film wet, laminated or not.

10. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    How does one get bubbles in unlaminated perf. anyway's?

11. aaronJREgraphics

aaronJREgraphics Member

Mar 27, 2012
    i dont see how you could have bubbles in something that has thousands of holes in it just saying...idk who told you that scott but its not that true

12. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    I don't put laminate on perf because it always ends up flaking off, and looking worse then it does without lam. And i install Perf all day every day dry, not a single bubble or crease. + getting bubbles in perf... just makes no sense since it's full of holes...

13. eahicks

eahicks Very Active Member

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    Low tack transfer tape works well for non-lam perf, especially if you're installing in the sun. For really curvy car windows, no lam is best. Just warn your customers that rain will fill up those holes, limiting visibility.

14. Wiggum PI

Wiggum PI Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Melbourne Australia
    Main thing is just prep with soap/water then isopropanol. No hydrocarbons(wax & grease etc) as it will attack the adhesive. Install, laminated or not is easy as.

15. noregrets

noregrets Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Nz
    sorry for the hijack, but what is the consensus for laminating for vehicles? yes/no? I am about to do a van, and was going to laminate but after reading the above I am not so sure now

16. Wiggum PI

Wiggum PI Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Melbourne Australia
    Yes to laminating, but make sure you get an optically clear CAST film, not the polyester version some places offer.

17. noregrets

noregrets Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Nz
    Yeah, thanks I did get some optically clear stuff in specially

Cheers

18. Desert_Signs

Desert_Signs Verboten

Jan 31, 2011
    See, no consensus.

I don't laminate. But it pretty much never rains out here, so there's that.

19. Scott Reynolds

Scott Reynolds Active Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Rockfish would be proud. :thumb:

20. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    it took me another guy about 3 hours to lay all these down, not too bad. we folded back the top backing about6" and got that straight and he squeegeed with a 24" felt tip as i unrolled from the bottom. We did have to go back and trim to bottom corners as the material did strtch just a little, this was NOT laminated

Attached Files: