• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Perf Virgin

Billct2

We've been asked to install some window graphics printed on perf, no laminate. Since we have never done this befor eI have som evey basic questions...
These are going on the outside of the windows about 4'x5' each window.
I have done some searching and see that there is wet vs dry debate with
window perf graphics just like regular vinyl. Which do you recommend?
We do most graphics dry.
Any special tools/squeeges needed? Any special techiques?
When I estmate the time is it comparable to installing regular vinyl?
Thanks for any assistance.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Applying window perf without lam is pretty easy to do dry, a good felt tip squeege will help and you will also want to put some edge seal around the whole graphic to insure no edge lifting. You should be able to install the perf faster then regular vinyl so I would say use the same calculations. Clear Focus has some cool instal tips below and if you need perf Im your guy!

http://clearfocus.com/tech_support/installation.php

Billct2

Thanks Bigfish. We're just installing, they're getting the graphics from one of their product line's vendors

Yep i agree with bigfish perf without lam is gravy goes faster than regular vinyl id use a good felt squeeg or one with glass tape both work great and i always seal the edge of my perfs with 3/8 inch 3m 8518 lam rolls it works great....good luck!

d fleming

Only danger in dry is the possibility of stetching due to no lam. Wet app with no lam gives you the ability to move and reposition easily.

matrue

a laminate on the graphic makes it so much easier for install..Just though I would put it out there.

fmg

install dry very easy.No need to apply contra vision film wet, laminated or not.

i dont see how you could have bubbles in something that has thousands of holes in it just saying...idk who told you that scott but its not that true

HulkSmash

Ive heard putting non laminated window perf on dry will give you lots and lots of bubbles. Im just saying... :thumb:

I don't put laminate on perf because it always ends up flaking off, and looking worse then it does without lam. And i install Perf all day every day dry, not a single bubble or crease. + getting bubbles in perf... just makes no sense since it's full of holes...

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Low tack transfer tape works well for non-lam perf, especially if you're installing in the sun. For really curvy car windows, no lam is best. Just warn your customers that rain will fill up those holes, limiting visibility.

Wiggum PI

Main thing is just prep with soap/water then isopropanol. No hydrocarbons(wax & grease etc) as it will attack the adhesive. Install, laminated or not is easy as.

noregrets

sorry for the hijack, but what is the consensus for laminating for vehicles? yes/no? I am about to do a van, and was going to laminate but after reading the above I am not so sure now

Wiggum PI

sorry for the hijack, but what is the consensus for laminating for vehicles? yes/no? I am about to do a van, and was going to laminate but after reading the above I am not so sure now

Yes to laminating, but make sure you get an optically clear CAST film, not the polyester version some places offer.

visual800

it took me another guy about 3 hours to lay all these down, not too bad. we folded back the top backing about6" and got that straight and he squeegeed with a 24" felt tip as i unrolled from the bottom. We did have to go back and trim to bottom corners as the material did strtch just a little, this was NOT laminated

Attachments

• IMG_1913.jpg
    IMG_1913.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1910.jpg
    IMG_1910.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 125