• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Perf

divers2deep

My understanding is that window perf has a much shorter life span then cast printed vinyl with lam. When performing a vehicle wrap it should have a lifespan of 4 yrs and up without significant fading and/or issues. Are there specific window perf to stick with, should the perf be laminated to give it longevity... What should I look for to integrate the windows into the wrap design. Im seeing a lot of vehicles around town where the solid wrap section looks great, but the windows look very bad do to failing or old perf material... Any input for me to learn on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

I am a newb and do not claim otherwise, so please take it easy on me.

Thanks in advance.

Bigdawg

Just Me
We do a fair bit of window perf - not all with good success...

My personal advice - your mileage may vary - is to go with the clear focus perf films. We've tried several different "store" brands from our vendors and they don't last worth a darn. On some the white areas turned brown within a year.. on others the visibility wasn't as clear as it should be. When we switched to the clear focus, we noticed a significant difference in visibility (we generally laminate it with 3M 8518 - I know - not technically optically clear, but it works just fine).

The other thing I noticed is that Clear focus says the perf will last 2 years... and after seeing it in action, I believe it will. Everything else was rated 1 year (and it showed).

Fast 596

We also use clear focus and haven't had any problems so far...We like to laminate the perf just because water and dirt can get trapped in the holes and you won't be able to see out the window (had it happen on our shop windows). Also it will help the print last longer but just as you stated not as long as solid cast vinyl with a laminate. But it does take a little bit more patience because it now traps air under the laminate if your not careful. Honestly I would go with a laminate just because it makes the window look quite a bit better than just the perf.

divers2deep

My personal advice - your mileage may vary - is to go with the clear focus perf films. We've tried several different "store" brands from our vendors and they don't last worth a darn. On some the white areas turned brown within a year.. on others the visibility wasn't as clear as it should be. When we switched to the clear focus, we noticed a significant difference in visibility (we generally laminate it with 3M 8518 - I know - not technically optically clear, but it works just fine).

The other thing I noticed is that Clear focus says the perf will last 2 years... and after seeing it in action, I believe it will. Everything else was rated 1 year (and it showed).

Great info, thanks!

divers2deep

We also use clear focus and haven't had any problems so far...We like to laminate the perf just because water and dirt can get trapped in the holes and you won't be able to see out the window (had it happen on our shop windows). Also it will help the print last longer but just as you stated not as long as solid cast vinyl with a laminate. But it does take a little bit more patience because it now traps air under the laminate if your not careful. Honestly I would go with a laminate just because it makes the window look quite a bit better than just the perf.

Thanks for the info! any tips or pointers when installing laminated perf ?

ucmj22

I hate window perf. client is always complaining after 6 months that they cant see through it any more. 90% of the time the culprit is the rear wiper blade, every time*. looks fine from the outside, but the wiper scratches the lam just enough to make it hard to see out of.

*I'm not an idiot, this line is a movie reference

signworldusinc

Merchant Member
We wholesale high quality perforated window vinyl if anyone is interested. We know many people are wary when it comes to inhouse brands but we stand by all of our products. If you would like a sample to be sent out to you; send us a PM and see for yourself the quality of our perforated window vinyl. We guarantee you will like the product.

http://www.display-wholesale.com/servlet/the-139/perforated-window-adhesive,-window/Detail

Warm regards,
Signworld Team

Keith Jenicek

We use Clear Path as well with no issues. Perf must be laminated, or rain drops will gather in the perf and obscure vision!

Clean the window thoughougly using 50/50 water/rubbing alcohol solution. Make sure window is lint free and clean! Pay careful attention to removing moisture from all winodow seals.

As far as install, we vertically center hinge the graphics, especially back truck windows. I have several horizontal guide lines on the transfer tape for alignment. Using the body lines and a level, we figure the angle at which the graphic is to be installed. (That is, the graphics should be on the same plane as the body contours and not level with the ground.) After careful measuring and remeasuring, the graphic is taped and guide lines that match those on the transfer tape are drawn just outside of the tape on the vehicle body. Center hinge the graphic, remove the release liner & cut, and apply the perf to the window using overlapping strokes. We also use a modified 10" Big Squeegee to expedite things. Work the vinyl near the edges with your small felt squeegee. Check alignment. Where the window has an edge, cut the perf at a 45 degree angle using the window as a guide. Where the window has a seal, cut perf 1/8" from the seal - to avoid moisture from wicking in. If the seal allows, cut the perf 1/8" extra, and squeegee under the seal. NOTE: this area must be pre-cleaned!! When applying to a retractable window, add an extra 1/2" of perf and apply below seal.

Best of luck! Measure twice, cut once!!!

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I use the buck-o-nine perf with no lam, and just tell the customer to come back in 6 months and pay for it again. It's actually a source of continuing income for us. JK
The cheaper stuff...well...you get what you pay for.

Keith Jenicek

Just got a call back today from a Landscaper that needs the windows redone. The perf with laminate lasted two years. These vehicles are washed almost every day...this guy has a wash package at the local gas station. I'd say thats 600+ brushless car washes it has endured. $200 bucks a pop. Takes 1/2 hr to install.

None of the partial wrap vinyl had to be replaced due to failing, as the windows.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I carry the perf in 60/40 and is made by the same guys as clear focus and holds all the same warranties also. Lots of users in here of it, 54"x164' is only $369

divers2deep

Which clear focus have you been using ?

thesignstation

question about the law

Had a customer tell me she could not get her car inspected in North Carolina because of a window perf installed. Honestly have never run into this situation in all the years I having been doing wraps? Anyone with any insight???
thanks in advance

petepaz

last 3 times i used perf it failed and had to replace but i haven't tried the clear focus. i will be using that next time. one thing i did learn is if you don't use good lam that is meant for the window perf that will cause failure as well, i assume from the shrinkage. (it pulls and causes it to curl) i have one i did with no lam about a year ago for the back window of a BMW and it still looks good.