• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Perf

paul luszcz

What is the best window perf for ease of installation and longevity?

Not looking for the cheapest, but the best combination of perf and lam. We use primarily 3M 180 and 3M 8518 laminate for the body of work but have only stocked inexpensive perf until now.

WrapperX

I really like and suggest Clear Focus - but make sure you use the Curva Lam and not just the regular lam.

Desert_Signs

How many of you guys actually lam your window perf? I've never done it (or seen it done). Is this common? How much does it help with longevity?

Impact Image

How many of you guys actually lam your window perf? I've never done it (or seen it done). Is this common? How much does it help with longevity?

I don't lam and have seen several that actually mildew because of it. The 150% daily humidity here in SC may not help matters.

megacab

it should be laminated. if not, you get a crap ton of build up of dirt in the perf and it leads or can lead to failure in a pretty short time. it also provides some extra UV resistance.

d fleming

I have almost 3 year old non laminated perf on my truck window, 4x4 that is on dirt road quite often. No problem.

Desert_Signs

it should be laminated. if not, you get a crap ton of build up of dirt in the perf and it leads or can lead to failure in a pretty short time. it also provides some extra UV resistance.

Interesting. We've been printing it for years and have never done it. I have unlaminated perf on the rear window of my shop truck, personal truck, and the rear and side windows of another personal truck. Its been on for ~2 years on all 3 and no failure or fading. Never had a problem with dirt build up either.

There's an install I did 4 years ago on store front windows with unlaminated perf and it is still in good shape as well. You'd think we'd see the fading and failure fast out here, with our sun and temps.

Desert_Signs

I have almost 3 year old non laminated perf on my truck window, 4x4 that is on dirt road quite often. No problem.

Yeah, that's how my truck is. It's a purely weekend toy. It's a K-5 Blazer (actually an ex-mil M1009). I put perf on the back and sides of the shell. It's ALWAYS dirty. Dust, mud, etc. Even dragging it through brush doesn't seem to hurt the perf.

Maybe the need to laminate perf is overstated?

d fleming

I think it's just personal preference. Some don't like the water droplets in the holes for the first 5 minutes in the morning, lam eliminates that and can safeguard somewhat against scratches and tears. Drive my truck daily, don't live on a dirt road, but my cattle do so I'm there daily in the truck.

J

john1

Lamination helps remove it easily, If you remove unlaminated perf it comes off in pieces.

Also it helps keep the holes clear of dirt.

I use Fellers Solvex with Lamex overlam and it's super cheap priced and holds up well from what i have seen. To each their own.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I dont' lam. I've done it in the past. The lam (even expensive stuff) will make it look foggy once summer comes around. Non lam only sucks when it rains. The lams we've used actually made the perf brown in 2 years for some reason. As for removal...on glass, a razor is all you need, doesn't matter if it comes off in little peices or all at once..if you have a hand held razor...it's cake. Then just clean it after. Solvex didn't last as long as the 3M or the Clear Focus (for obvious quality reasons I guess) so I stopped using it. I just tell my customers, with perf..there is half as much surface area keeping it ahered to the glass, and half of the material is exposed to all the elements (holes) so I don't warrant it for more than a year regardless. Does that mean it falls off or fades to white in a year...no. I just won't replace it for free after a year.

d fleming

Solvex is only rated for a year, had it fail here in Florida in 6 months. Wife thought she was being frugal when ordering, after helping me reprint and reinstall all the failures she knows better now. Removing solvex was a pain, came off in pieces, removing better films no problem.

petepaz

Solvex is only rated for a year, had it fail here in Florida in 6 months. Wife thought she was being frugal when ordering, after helping me reprint and reinstall all the failures she knows better now. Removing solvex was a pain, came off in pieces, removing better films no problem.

aaaaahhhhh!!!!!! i just ordered some solvex for a job
now i am worried
i have used other solvex products with no issues but first time with window perf

petepaz

don't you have to laminate just because it is printed?
how is window perf different from other printed vinyl you put on a truck/vehicle?

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
don't you have to laminate just because it is printed?
how is window perf different from other printed vinyl you put on a truck/vehicle?

Well I suppose the simple, most direct explanation is
None of the brands of Perf are rated to outlast the ink's
"3 year outdoor durability without lamination" claims.
But for scratch resistance, I spray with acrylic.

Also, there difference in that it's "perforrated" makes all the holes become tiny greenhouses in heat and the lam over those holes dome up (looks bad) or the adhesive gets on the glass in the holes giving it that "foggy" look permanently.

J

john1

Installing thee solvex anyway is cake. You can apply it, and reposition it before a final squeegee. Laminating it makes it much easier to work with and looks better IMO