• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window perforation laws & regulations

MrDesignGuy

Is anybody familiar with the laws surrounding the use of vehicle perforation window films? Are there separate laws regarding the difference between 50/50, 60/40, and 70/30 films. I assume laws vary from state to state, but I am not for sure. I thought this would be a good topic to begin as I see no information about it on this site.

AUTO-FX

ask a local window tint guy- they know the laws in your locale. i know in PA, you can do whatever you want on a window behind the driver's head as long as the vehicle has dual outside rear view mirrors.

threeputt

ask a local window tint guy- they know the laws in your locale. i know in PA, you can do whatever you want on a window behind the driver's head as long as the vehicle has dual outside rear view mirrors.

That's the theory I've been working under here in Washington state.

G-Artist

The last time I looked, which was about 14 months ago, Florida had no law(s) on window perf...just laws on window tint.

No case law that I am aware of which would include perf in the tint category.

I can't speak for any other state but in Florida you can completely opaque rear windows or not have any at all (think some types of cargo vans) as long as you have adequate side mirrors.

Rear passenger side glass is treated the same way.

The only thing that does matter is the front two side windows which must remain unobstructed (have to see and use the mirrors) plus you can only semi-opaque/tint/obstruct a small portion of the windshield in the upper area.

All that surprised me as violation of the tint rules had severe consequences yet you didn't even have to have glass in that area. Mis-tint and pay a fine, paint over or remove the window and you are good to go. Go figure!

Commercial passenger vehicles such as limos have slightly different rules for tint than std. personal vehicles.

dasnootz

Does anyone know laws specific to New York State... or where I might find them?

I believe NY allows Window Tint up to 70% for the rear window, but I'm not sure if that translates to 70/30 perf. I've only used 50/50 with optically clear laminate in the past, and knock on wood, I haven't had any calls for bail from the county lock-up. I have a client now that's requested 60/40 on the rear window of a Dodge Caravan... and I want to make sure that I'm not wasteing money on a roll if it's not legal.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
No one is going to pull them over and say thats not a 50/50 perf, 60/40 will be fine but thats just me. My 60/40 is only $0.41 a sq.ft so you wont have to waste a ton of money if you have to take it off.