• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Splash Paint?

RandyToons

OK folks!...does anyone have a favorite paint and process for doing a Christmas window splash? I have run into everything from 1 Shot poster, interior latex to Rich Art. What is your favorite?
Thanks in advance,:thankyou:
Randy

OldPaint

i like to coat out the window with kilz.........and then do all the paint with anything you got, one shot, rich art, ronan, latex house paint.........most are short term signs.....if its in a protected from rain area you can even use TEMPRA ..........

SignMan Sez

Randy... I use Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 Acrylic latex primer as a base coat, then an oil based color such as one-shot poster, Day-Glo fluorescent, etc. "Old Paint" didn't specify, but if you use the solvent-based Kilz primer, you need to give it ample drying time before using an oil-based color on top, or you'll "burn" through the primer. Any cheap acrylic-based primer will work, and remove easier than solvent Kilz.

Pat Whatley

Granted, it's January now but I missed this originally and maybe somebody will be doing a search the same info later. I used to base coat them with whatever cheap, kind of white oil based house paint I could find on the mis-tint rack at the paint store. For top coats I'd use the same collection of mis-tinted cheap paint or more typically the cheap little bottles of craft acrylic paints you can pick up at art supply stores. Michaels would put them on sale for 49c a bottle and I'd pick up 100 or so.

Little secret I learned for outlines on short term window splashes....let that stuff dry for a couple of hours then come back and outline with bold permanent markers. Sure, it's only good for about three months....about two months longer than a window splash usually lasts.

Cleaning was a snap if it was base coated with oil base. The stuff would scrape off in long strips. With a latex base it comes off easy enough, just in little flakes.

Jillbeans

I draw it on the window with a blue Stabilo (or that better kind of Stabilo but I forget the name right now) then go over it with Kilz latex. The blue bleeds thru then you have a guideline.
I love Ronan's fluorescent colors almost as much as RichArt, but RichArt is far more expensive. After that dries I outline with flat black latex (way faster than using black oil-based like 1S or Ronan) I got my black exterior latex at the local True Value.
Love....Jill

Last edited:

Craig Sjoquist

Latex paint any brand... I was using tempra paint but a rain comes it's washes off besides color was not as strong.
So this year I switched to latex with great results easy to clean off spray with water scrape off.

As far as advertising I use a white vinyl then paint on that with any brand paint.