Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Window Tint with Logo? Can it be done.

Discussion in 'Installation Equipment & Techniques' started by Tawmie, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Tawmie

Tawmie New Member

May 28, 2020
    Courtenay, BC
    Hey! So... We have a client that is set upon the idea of covering his big roll up garage door windows with window tint BUT he would like his logo superimposed over the windows too. I have attached a quick mock up of the idea. He wants the entire thing to transmit light. I have been trying to steer him towards a printable etch but hes not sold quite yet. I don't have a ton of experience with tint other than I know it can be quite finnicky. Anybody with any experience for working with tint like this?

Attached Files:

2. Reveal1

Reveal1 Active Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    We've not done a lot of tint but this looks simple. Tint on inside and etchmark (or similar) on outside. Wouldn't be able to do the variable tints in photo 2 though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. XtremeXccessories

XtremeXccessories Member

May 18, 2012
    Layton, UT
    It can be done, it's kind of a pain, though. You can do what Reveal1 said, but keep in mind that there are very few films that are designed to be installed on the outside of a window. The brand we use, Llumar, only has one single type if I remember correctly, and it has a much reduced lifespan compared to their other commercial/residential films.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tawmie

Tawmie New Member

May 28, 2020
    Courtenay, BC
    Yea that is what I was thinking. Thanks so much.

5. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    We reverse printed on clear - installed on the car windows (inside) then added a layer of medium (35% I think) neutral tint behind the prints.
    Looked good and seemed to not bother the driver's view. Most likely not DOT Kosher, but we told them if it was an issue we'd remove and refund the cost. Might do what you need. window print.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  6. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    You could use tint on the inside and transparent vinyl on the outside

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. RebelGraphics

RebelGraphics Member

May 14, 2020
    Florida
    I would have done it the same way. Good thing you mentioned the DOT to them.