• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Tinting

WrapperX

My company recently started thinking about getting into window tinting - something we haven't done before. Now I've looked up some "how to" videos and actually got a DVD from WindowTint.com and it seems pretty easy, pending the applicator has a basic knowledge of how to put regular vinyl on.
However, are there any tips or tricks that people/installers have found work real well that isn't generally talked about in "do it yourself" training videos?
Are there differences in the types of Tint - not colors or opacity but in material?
Do you have to use the wet application technique or has it been done without?
Any general tips or tricks of the trade would be appreciated.

gabagoo

window tinting has to be done wet from what I have seen and they use much more soap in the water than sign people generally do. As with anything it is an aquired skill. I have watched guys do the rear windows of vehicles and sometimes it looks tedious, plus the fact your jammed into the back seat of a car uncomfortably. Good luck.....

Charlie J

My helper is an awesome tinter.

a few pointers

1. Must be applied wet....very wet. Use johnson & johnson baby shampoo as your application fluid.
2. Many windows must be heat shrinked (sp).
3. Buy a nice heat gun.
4. Apply baby powder to the window before applying film. Keeps tint from sticking.
5. Be very careful when cutting on automotive glass.
6. Only use hi-performance film. The price difference isn't worth the headaches.

Zambookajoe

Ive been there before and Id be very carefull going that route, You need an extremely clean area for installs ,if your cutting substrates in the same area youll get bubbles and unsatisfied customers.

Its a market where customers want it now and if you dont like to work after hours forget it.

Id did for 4 years and just got fed up of doing installs till 1am... not trying to discourage you. just telling you my experience.

klemgraphics

We do a lot of tint here too, definitely buy a good quality film and you will probably want to start with a 2 ply film at first anyway as it doesn't crease as easily. Be ready to trash a bunch of tint at first, especially doing rear windows on cars as they are a PITA at first.

Don't expect to be good after doing a couple of cars, I've been doing this for 6 or 7 years now and while I consider myself a good installer I still learn new tricks all the time.

If you think that it is no different than vinyl...think again...whole different ballgame, much more tedious and not at all forgiving like vinyl.

Call some distributors and get some sample rolls of anything you can get your hands on and give it a try.

there is a reason so many tinters are trying to be sign shops. personally i think there is much more profitable less bs areas a signshop should consider before adding tint. if you were an autobased shop primarily doing auto graphics maybe...but even then i would recommend subbing it out...no thanks.

lil Details

vinyl and tinting are really different. It is like comparing tennis to racquetball.

I would suggest looking at autowindowtinting.com as Stan is doing training in Saint Louis some now. It is like $1500 for the weeks course, but you would learn all the basics and get some good hands on.

I might be interested in coming up to "teach" you. Just about 300 miles up there and some of my family still lives over in Saint Charles, Naperville, and Aurora....