• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Tinting

archerdesign

Hi All! I just got a job doing some window tinting on a back windsheild and the two back side windows. I have never done any window tinting before! :) Does anyone have any tips? Product to use? Thanks in advance.

Dave Archer
Sechelt, BC

Flame

Dude....why on earth would you take on a paying job when you've never done it before?????

all I can say is OMG. You're in for a treat.

In your position, I'd give the money back and practice on a few vehicles before even attempting to charge. No idea how much vinyl experience you have... but laying vinyl and laying tint, are NOT the same. Similiar, but not the same.

strypguy

I've been a professional 3M window tint installer for over 16 years. If you haven't learned to heat shink film before you will never get the back glass right.
I wouldn't recommend doing this without some schooling and lots of practice.

Even some side glass will give a novice fits.

John

weaselboogie

I"ve done vinyl app for years before I tinted my first car. ... And I sucked at it. I don't know if the chrome was less forgiving than the regular tint, but I did and and redid it about 5 times and got dirt in there every single time.

There's no way I would have taken on a job like that unless it were my car or my friends car. Good luck!

mikey-Oh

I'm going to try my hand at tinting my truck next month.
What are some tips, suggestions, forewarnings....
or is there a website I can check?

Thanks,
Mike

Jim Doggett

You gotta start sometime. So maybe get some Llumar tint film and give it a try, with your own car first :). It's a water-activated adhesive, so doing it wet is required. And there are DVDs around for some tips. Check eBay for them. I'm sure I've noticed.

We also sell tint film at our Website. And we have tools. Or call our sales folks. We're open weekends, but of course closed Monday.

Good luck at expanding your horizons!!!

Best,
Jim

Redwave Signs

My brother has a tint shop. I tried it once, it is not as easy as you may think. It is not the same as laying vinyl.

He has been tinting for quite some time and makes it look easy ..... but it is not. If I were you I would practice a lot before doing the work for paying customers.

He uses Johnson Window Films, Awesome product.

archerdesign

Thank you for all your advice. I cancelled the gig. I was assuming it was just like applying wet vinyl...but I guess not by the sounds of things!

proline51

:toasting:, i believe the llumar vehicle tint is a pressure sensitive material like vinyl, and their residential tint is water activated, but regardless take a course, or practice a ton first. deffinately a lot harder than it looks.

jkl