• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 10 - Feeling violated

signlords

/\ This... Never10 is a one click button, a second click if you want to remove any Win 10 background files already downloaded.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
33 days of running Win 10 and it let me roll back to Win 7 without a hitch...so far.

Welcome back, baby...it's been a long time.

JB

OldPaint

Well, you still have that paying scheme if you don't have a qualifying computer to "upgrade".

I actually wouldn't have a problem with buying the OS (I prefer fresh installs to upgrades like this anyway, I've never had a good turnout upgrading a Win OS via this method), if I was able to not have to deal with some of MS product interconnectivity that they try to peddle(force) on to you.

The frustrating part is is that if you were to strip away how they conducted the rollout and the telemetry aspect of it, from a usability stand point it isn't a bad OS. It really isn't. They are behind the times on some aspects of it (virtual desktops) compared to other OSs, but it really isn't all that bad, if it wasn't for those 2 aspects. At least in my mind.

THIS FREE VERSION...........the d/l, is ONLY AN UPGRADEABLE version. trust me.... I LIKE YOU.........prefer fresh OS installs and i usually do this with a brand new hard drive........format it and load the OS to it and then rebuild the hard drive programs.
i got an ISO D/L of WIN 10, installed it to a blank hard drive. it worked ..........BUT WOULD NOT VALIDATE/ACTIVATE.
this is because it needs the SERIAL KEY...from the earlier version to be on the hard drive. i tried to add my serial key numbers....that dont work either.
finally called M/S.......... was told if i wanted a fresh install i would have to go BUY IT!!!! $110.00!!!!

WildWestDesigns

THIS FREE VERSION...........the d/l, is ONLY AN UPGRADEABLE version.

No worries on that, I was aware of that. I wouldn't have a problem with buying it, if I knew it precluded some things (things like that one drive), but it doesn't.

I'm only going to update when I have to and even then, it's going to be within a VM.

33 days of running Win 10 and it let me roll back to Win 7 without a hitch...so far.

Welcome back, baby...it's been a long time.

JB

Did you just revert back or did you remove all the other remnants as well?

WildWestDesigns

I'm not sure. How do I check for any remnants?

JB

If I recall correctly, this $Windows.~BT is what you are going to want to look for. Make sure you have your show hidden files/folders on and look for that in your C drive. See how big that is.

I think the easiest way of deleting it first is going to be to run that GWX program that most talk about and turn everything off and then go to delete it. If you do it manually, you'll need to block the installer, because they do have it setup as a trusted installer.

I would also turn off auto updates. Even if using GWX, there is nothing to prevent MS to using a different KB package to install everything once again and we will be looking at the same situation. You would then have to get a current version of GWX and/or Never10 I would imagine that would deal with the old and new KB packages.

The irony is, if they want to get you, more then likely they will, especially if you still try to take advantage of the update support until your particular OS goes EOL. Even though Win 7 and Win 8 are "officially" supported until 2020 and 2023 respectively, you can't really take advantage of the updates unless you want to have to be dealing with this all the time. Of course, the thing that you have to worry about really, is how long are software companies still going to write for 7 and/or 8, especially if a lot of people have already migrated to 10?

OldPaint

ONE DRIVE.......pain in my arse......i deleted/moved everything in it. i guess for some people its a good thing, not me.
i got a MAXIUS 11.6" notebook/laptop with a 32 gig h/d. now i didnt want this thing for aything other then what you people(with good eyes) do with smart phones. phone is to damn small screen for me. so i saw this little computer and for $149.00(win 10 is $109.00)and its a touch screen of keyboard....so i can take it anywhere(its also light)BUT i fired it up here in my office, did all the WIN 10 updates, added AVAST, CLASSIC SHELL, INKSCAPE set it up for my email(thunderbird)and i looked at the h/d to see what was left for empty space.........3-4 GIGS........ was all. got to looking around, saw the ONE DRIVE folder.........now i didnt put anything in there.........well EVERYTHING THAT WAS ON MY DESKTOP in the one drive...IS NOW ON MY NOTEBOOK!!!!!!!!! I DONT WANT IT ON THERE!!!!! so i deleted what i dont need, moved what i wanted to save........on the NOTEBOOK........ well i go on the desktop.......AND ITS ALL GONE THERE!!!!! not something i need.

player

If I recall correctly, this $Windows.~BT is what you are going to want to look for. Make sure you have your show hidden files/folders on and look for that in your C drive. See how big that is.

I think the easiest way of deleting it first is going to be to run that GWX program that most talk about and turn everything off and then go to delete it. If you do it manually, you'll need to block the installer, because they do have it setup as a trusted installer.

I would also turn off auto updates. Even if using GWX, there is nothing to prevent MS to using a different KB package to install everything once again and we will be looking at the same situation. You would then have to get a current version of GWX and/or Never10 I would imagine that would deal with the old and new KB packages.

The irony is, if they want to get you, more then likely they will, especially if you still try to take advantage of the update support until your particular OS goes EOL. Even though Win 7 and Win 8 are "officially" supported until 2020 and 2023 respectively, you can't really take advantage of the updates unless you want to have to be dealing with this all the time. Of course, the thing that you have to worry about really, is how long are software companies still going to write for 7 and/or 8, especially if a lot of people have already migrated to 10?

GWX gives you a number of options to continue to get updates but not Win10 updates, or no updates etc... It also has a desktop monitor and I think keeps itself updated...

WildWestDesigns

GWX gives you a number of options to continue to get updates but not Win10 updates, or no updates etc... It also has a desktop monitor and I think keeps itself updated...

The sure fire way would be no updates at all, which you can do using the regular Win 7 or Win 8 update control panel.

I wouldn't be surprised if MS tried to sneak Win 10 updates via Win 7/Win 8. Some elements that are in Win 10 incorporated into Win 7 or Win 8 etc. They already added the telemetry aspect of Win 10 into the earlier OSs. Who is to say other elements wouldn't be in there as well.