• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 7 64 bit

Jim Schneck

I searched compatibility issues and found conflicting opinions. We’re ordering new workstations and need to decide between 32 and 64 bit systems.

What have users of CS3 and VersaWorks experienced using win7 64 day to day.

We don’t replace computers frequently and want to make the wisest choice for current and future use.

SignBurst PCs

Both of those software packages will be fine in Windows 7 32 or 64 Bit. The difference is that when you move to CS4 or CS5, you will get a jump in performance in Photoshop if you choose to go the 64 Bit direction. You may want to download the newest version of VersaWorks before you install it on either system (or get a copy from your Roland dealer).

signswi

SignBurst is dead on, I don't have any VersaWorks experience but the performance difference in CS4+ on 64bit is significant. You also have access to much more RAM in a 64bit environment, as 32bit windows tops out at 3.5GB of accessible ram--a relatively small amount.

Tony McD

When I got my new windows 7 computer and installed my older versaworks software and installed all the updates, it did work, but it wouldn't install the print driver to print straight from Corel.
I had to save the file as a pdf, jpeg, etc.. and import the file into versaworks.

In order to print straight from Corel, I had to order the 4.0 software from Roland and install it fresh, to get that driver to load.

jiarby

64bit is the future... You may have a bump now & then with a legacy app, but in 2-3 years you don't want to still be riding that 32bit train.

Here is an easy to understand reason why:

Because they use MBR + NTFS to format drives, and the MBR spec has a limitation on the maximum addressible sectors, 32bit O/S's cannot use a partition larger than 2.2tb.

64bit O/S systems use the newer GPT format to partition drives and can (theoretically)_ address a volume up to 18 EXABYTES!!

Already today, 3 terabyte drives are available and 2tb ones are now quite common and cost as little a $90. You will soon want to buy a drive that will be larger than your 32bit O/S can see.

Also, the max addressible RAM for a 31bit O/S is 4gb.
A 64bit O/S can address up to 192gb. Depending on which version of W7 you buy.... :)
•Starter: 8GB
•Home Basic: 8GB
•Home Premium: 16GB
•Professional: 192GB
•Enterprise: 192GB
•Ultimate: 192GB

Your next processor will have between 4 and 8 cores and need lots of RAM to feed the beast. Apps that take advantage of mega-multithreading will be 64 bit.

So.. your decision is this:
32bit app & driver hassles today
or
serious hardware limitations tomorrow.

BTW...

We all already went through this mess about 16 years ago as we transitioned from 16bit (DOS) and 32bit (Win 95... sorta, NT 3.51 for sure)

The numbers were smaller, but the problems the same... Legacy 16 bit apps & drivers having compatability problems with new 32 bit OS.

Go 64bit and buy at least Win7 Pro (for XP mode, and extra addressible RAM capacity)