• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 7 Email Alternative

ProWraps

some of you will have read my last post where i was installing Windows 7 on three machines and found out that there is no email client anymore in Windows.

i did download windows mail live and gave it a go for a few days. my review is to not bother with it. it wasnt very intuative and i really didnt like it. its really annoying if you have multiple accounts that you use. some may like that it keeps them separate unlike the previous windows mail clients (separate inboxes, outboxes, spam, everything), but i found it to be terribly annoying and always wondered if i was checking enough folders to properly see my mail.

i also never found a way to set how often it checks your mail (there may be a way but i couldnt find it), and instead of checking your mail it "syncs" which i guess is a fancy way of checking your mail. again i dont know as i never felt comfortable with how different and clunky it was.

i ended up going to mozilla thunderbird and am very happy. so if you are going to be in need of an email client which you will if you switch to Windows 7, you might want to give mozilla thunderbird a try.

-chris

econolinesigns

Used Thunderbird pretty exclusivly on three computers until I switched to a Mac. There is also a calendar option you can download which interfaces with Thunderbird (unless they have changed things). Firefox is their brouser and it is great, although, I have to admit that Google Chrome is pretty cool and very fast.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i just set up windows live, a few minutes of tinkering and you can get it to look like outlook express, but better.

i have 7 email accounts, it's nice to be able to just click on the one and see what in there.

they also have unread section, so you can see all the mail, for all the accounts, as it comes in.

i'm hooked, live rocks!

as far as, the settings, click the icon in the upper right hand corner, in the middle, it opens up the same options section you had in outlook express.

Kevin-shopVOX

I like Mozilla Thunderbird..especially as it will integrate with google docs/calendar and you can use google sync for appointments, contacts, to-dos etc. Great feature. Plus its open source and you can't beat that.