Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 Upgrade today - 3 machines

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by ProWraps, Oct 29, 2009.

1. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Vista 64 bit x 2
    XP 32 bit x 1

Xp upgraded so far without any problems.
    Downloading service pack 1 for 64 bit vista machine before upgrade per Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor request.

Will post if I run into any problems after download and install.

Tags:
  2. ProWraps

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    the 64 bit versions of vista both upgraded with no problems after installing service pack 1.

hope this helps anyone that is wondering how the process works or not. was very easy, quick and sucessful.

3. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    These were UPGRADEs, not a clean installs? Just wanted to clarify as I am considering this as we speak (as I'm sure many are). I know that a clean install is always preferred over an upgrade, but it is so painful to reinstall everything (which I've done many times and have yet to find a great process for doing so).

Also, which version of Win7 are you installing (home, pro, ultimate)?

Either way, thanks for the feedback.

4. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    I would never even consider upgrading any OS.

Can you imagine all the $H!T files that will be left behind by your old operating system to infest your new operating system.

5. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

I'm wondering the same thing as Chris. If the upgrade goes smoothly and you don't have to reinstall any software I'm going this route. I wasn't going to install W7 on any of our existing computers because I always thought clean installs and then reinstallation of all software was necessary.

6. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    We just got a 7 system with touchscreen. I LOVE IT!

7. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    Hey I just looked up a reference from another thread on this and if you are upgrading directly from WinXP, then it says you MUST do a clean install?! Can anyone confirm or refute this?

8. ProWraps

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    these are upgrades. xp you have to do a "custom" install. it basically is a clean install. but it takes all your old files and proggys and sticks them in a folder called windows.old on your "c" drive.

the vista installs were just straight upgrades. everything was intact. the only thing is that windows 7 DOES NOT have an email client. but you can download windows live AND IT DOES import your email.

i freaked at first when i thought i had lost all my email. so dont freak out like i did. its there.

9. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    I am holding off a bit to see how it's working on peoples Mac set-ups with Fusion. I am currently using XP Home edition and toying around with upgrading to Windows 7 64 bit

10. cgsigns_jamie

cgsigns_jamie Very Active Member

Rick,

It works GREAT in 64bit mode with Fusion 3.
    I have 8Gb of memory and 4 processors allocated to my Win7 VM and it's FAST

11. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

So to be clear, you were able to install 7 on an XP box without having to reinstall any existing programs?

12. ProWraps

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    no. i actually re installed my cs4 suite. thats all that was on it.

13. gnatt66

gnatt66 Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    NH
    i love 7..been running the beta on my personal laptop for a while. way faster than vista and the wifi utility is 1000 percent better.

14. Rodi

Rodi Very Active Member

Aug 3, 2007
    I would wait until all the kinks get worked out on it. Why open yourself to be a guinea pig? Even on the Mac side, I wait. It is not that important.

15. ProWraps

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    because vista sucked.

16. Stealth Ryder

Stealth Ryder Very Active Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Texas
    I expect my copy of 7 on Monday, will be upgrading from 64 bit vista and hope all goes well cause I am no issues at present... Thanks for the info...

17. ProWraps

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    found the three pack at costco for $124 today. even cheaper than previously reported.

18. trik

trik Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Yuba City, CA
    +1 absolutely!!! :rock-n-roll: