• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 7 Upgrade today - 3 machines

ProWraps

Vista 64 bit x 2
XP 32 bit x 1

Xp upgraded so far without any problems.
Downloading service pack 1 for 64 bit vista machine before upgrade per Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor request.

Will post if I run into any problems after download and install.

ProWraps

the 64 bit versions of vista both upgraded with no problems after installing service pack 1.

hope this helps anyone that is wondering how the process works or not. was very easy, quick and sucessful.

ChiknNutz

These were UPGRADEs, not a clean installs? Just wanted to clarify as I am considering this as we speak (as I'm sure many are). I know that a clean install is always preferred over an upgrade, but it is so painful to reinstall everything (which I've done many times and have yet to find a great process for doing so).

Also, which version of Win7 are you installing (home, pro, ultimate)?

Either way, thanks for the feedback.

Replicator

I would never even consider upgrading any OS.

Can you imagine all the $H!T files that will be left behind by your old operating system to infest your new operating system.

Letterbox Mike

I'm wondering the same thing as Chris. If the upgrade goes smoothly and you don't have to reinstall any software I'm going this route. I wasn't going to install W7 on any of our existing computers because I always thought clean installs and then reinstallation of all software was necessary.

ChiknNutz

Hey I just looked up a reference from another thread on this and if you are upgrading directly from WinXP, then it says you MUST do a clean install?! Can anyone confirm or refute this?

ProWraps

these are upgrades. xp you have to do a "custom" install. it basically is a clean install. but it takes all your old files and proggys and sticks them in a folder called windows.old on your "c" drive.

the vista installs were just straight upgrades. everything was intact. the only thing is that windows 7 DOES NOT have an email client. but you can download windows live AND IT DOES import your email.

i freaked at first when i thought i had lost all my email. so dont freak out like i did. its there.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I am holding off a bit to see how it's working on peoples Mac set-ups with Fusion. I am currently using XP Home edition and toying around with upgrading to Windows 7 64 bit

gnatt66

i love 7..been running the beta on my personal laptop for a while. way faster than vista and the wifi utility is 1000 percent better.

Rodi

I would wait until all the kinks get worked out on it. Why open yourself to be a guinea pig? Even on the Mac side, I wait. It is not that important.

Stealth Ryder

I expect my copy of 7 on Monday, will be upgrading from 64 bit vista and hope all goes well cause I am no issues at present... Thanks for the info...