• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 7 "User Control Account" settings

Colin

I've been enjoying my new Win7 machine, it really smokes, but I just realized that the "User Control Account" setting was right down at the bottom (aka: unsafe and Not Recommended). Now that I've notched it up to the top, Internet Explorer has slowed to a crawl.

Any insight on where this setting should ideally be, or why IE is so slow now, or a possible fix?

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Mine is set at one down from the top and I don't have any lag issues. But I also use both Chrome and Firefox. I've never used Internet Explorer...

Wiggum PI

First thing I do when installing Win 7 is turn off UAC...and leave it off! Its a PITA in my opinion.
Never had any dramas with it turned off, but I'm pretty careful with what is and isnt installed on my pc.

Colin

First thing I do when installing Win 7 is turn off UAC...and leave it off! Its a PITA in my opinion.
Never had any dramas with it turned off, but I'm pretty careful with what is and isnt installed on my pc.

But even so, isn't that precarious?

visual800

you need to dump IE and dump UAC. I do not allow microsoft or windows to "help me" do or defend against anything!

genericname

Generally, the changes to the Windows Security Centre are positive, but I'd have to agree with dumping both IE and UAC. A third party behaviour monitor and script blocker can do a much better job than UAC, without nagging the hell out of you.

signswi

I use UAC at the third to the top setting (Default) and have never once been prompted by something that didn't make sense to see a prompt for. I use Chome for most browsing, Firefox for a few specific tools but IE9 is a fine browser. IE8 and below are not.

Colin

Yes, I have no problem with IE, but the fact that it goes from lightening-fast to a snail's pace once the UAC is set at anything but the bottom is shocking and disappointing.

Yes, I'm the only user of the computer.

Last edited:

Colin

I just talked to a guy at the computer store where I bought my machine, and he said to just leave the UCA setting at the bottom.

SignBurst PCs

Windows 7 UAC isn't really that big of a deal. I leave mine at the notch 2nd from the top (default). I rarely have to "OK" anything. It's not the annoying nag it was in Vista. I don't notice a lag in IE either (although computers may not be equally equipped).

Colin

Windows 7 UAC isn't really that big of a deal. I leave mine at the notch 2nd from the top (default). I rarely have to "OK" anything. It's not the annoying nag it was in Vista. I don't notice a lag in IE either (although computers may not be equally equipped).

I guess the lag I experience is not so much in actual browsing, but for example when I click on my "Favorites" tab, it takes about 3 seconds to appear.

I'll ask you to try the setting at the bottom and see if what I've described is way faster than what you've become used to (it may require a re-boot after making the setting change).

SignBurst PCs

I guess the lag I experience is not so much in actual browsing, but for example when I click on my "Favorites" tab, it takes about 3 seconds to appear.

I'll ask you to try the setting at the bottom and see if what I've described is way faster than what you've become used to (it may require a re-boot after making the setting change).

Colin, I am afraid that I won't be much help here. Almost nothing lags on my computer, ever. On your system, it could very easily be UAC, but on mine, the horsepower overcomes the lag.

Even though it is quite capable, I have dumped IE for Chrome and/or Firefox, depending on which way the wind is blowing. I find Chrome to be the fastest, but the new IE and Firefox are much better than just a couple generations ago. If you are having lag issues, you may try one of the alternatives and see how it works for you.

Colin

Um, no, my 6-core machine with gobs of RAM isn't the issue, it has to do with the UCA setting which checks & confirms that said actions are permissable, so I suspect that it would also occur on Chrome or Firefox. But I suggest that you give it a try and report back. It is possible that what you're simply "used to" could be faster.

Just looking for evidence.

SignBurst PCs

Um, no, my 6-core machine with gobs of RAM isn't the issue, it has to do with the UCA setting which checks & confirms that said actions are permissable, so I suspect that it would also occur on Chrome or Firefox. But I suggest that you give it a try and report back. It is possible that what you're simply "used to" could be faster.

Just looking for evidence.

OK, for the sake of argument, I ratcheted mine UAC all the way up to the top and rebooted.

Everything in IE is still instantaneous. There isn't a 1 second wait anywhere to be found.

Moving it down to the bottom does nothing either. I am dead serious here, it doesn't get any faster than this.

I am not saying that your computer isn't fast Colin, I am sure that it is. I am just telling you that on my computer, I don't get a lag in IE anywhere, no matter where UAC is set.

Colin

Interesting. Did you try clicking on your Favourites tab to see how fast the list appeared? I ask because that's where I really notice it, not so much on regular surfing.

SignBurst PCs

Interesting. Did you try clicking on your Favourites tab to see how fast the list appeared? I ask because that's where I really notice it, not so much on regular surfing.

That is what I checked first since you mentioned it earlier. It is instant.

signswi

Try running IE9 in no addons mode to see if that makes a difference. Usually these types of problems are related to some addon.

Colin

Hmm, ok, thanks. I wonder what's causing mine to lag. Could it have anything to do with whether or not one has their computer set-up with an "Administrator" and password or not? (I know little about all the complex nuts & bolts of computerdom).