• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 8? Do you like it?

CES020

I was installing Parallels on my laptop and up pops a screen that allows me to install various OS's and Windows 8 was one of them. I'm sure it's the trial thing they offered from MS. I installed it and wasn't very happy with it.

Anyone else giving it a test drive? Any thoughts? I've only gone into it a handful of times but every time has been very frustrating. It took me some time to even understand what I was supposed to be doing if what I wanted to do wasn't email, photos, or one of those large icons.

It may or may not end up being better, but man, that is a RADICAL change from all their other stuff. I see a lot of people getting really upset. If the intent was to make a new OS, I think they did it. If the intent was to make a new OS that was a smooth transition between previous products and this one, I think they wet the bed.

Do you like it? Do I just need more time to get used to it, then I'll love it?

Just curious on what people are thinking about it.

jayhawksigns

Plan on buying enough copies of 7 to get all of our office computers up to that and then sit there, 8 isn't touching any of our computers.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
From what I've heard, Win 8 can seamlessly switch back and forth between the Metro interface and the more "traditional" Win7-like interface.

My guess is that most will opt for the older style.

And for me, even the Win7 Start Menu sucks. I've installed Classic Shell (which also works with Win8).

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
From what I've heard, Win 8 can seamlessly switch back and forth between the Metro interface and the more "traditional" Win7-like interface.

My guess is that most will opt for the older style.

And for me, even the Win7 Start Menu sucks. I've installed Classic Shell (which also works with Win8).

Really? Everything I have read has said the opposite. Only hacks allow for removing the Metro interface. I don't follow Windows closely so I may be very wrong.

I think MS wants this to stay

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Well, Eric... I just can't remember where I read that -- maybe it was in reference to one of the early beta releases, I'm not sure. But I've just spent a bit of time on Google and now I see what you're saying.

Oh, well... there still is the Classic Shell -- which claims to be able to completely prevent the Metro UI from loading.

I have been using the RTM of 8 on my workstation and am ready to go back to 7.. This whole full screen thing is RIDICULOUS. You click on a PDF.. you get full screen preview and then have to go to the left to get back to desktop.

Want an app that is not shown on the METRO screen? go to all apps and hunt...

Very much a pain. I am a network administrator by day while I get my sign business up and running and can say that I will put this off as long as I can.

mopar691

Myself I am looking forward to 8 just as I have been for any os release.

I am kinda nerdy and a gadget freak so the moment I can see that this works with all my software I will be switching the whole shop over to it. I like progression and look forward to see what software devs can do with this over time.

WildWestDesigns

For desktop users, I don't really see how Win 8 is going to turn out good. Win 7 is really where they need to be for a while or come out with a tablet/mobile version of Win 8 and a desktop/laptop version of Win 8.

I'm running Win 7 off of my Slate 700T and it works just fine. I had thought about maybe doing Win 8 on that computer, but for what I need it for, I don't think I will. I'll definately be keeping my Win 7 desks for awhile that's for sure.

jayhawksigns

Win 8 "Metro" makes sense for a tablet. Full blown desktop usage, it doesn't work.

I know there was a way to get to a "old desktop" screen but it was severely crippled from what a Win 7 or earlier desktop experience is. I just don't see the point, even with as cheap as MS is selling discounts. Maybe that should say something.

OlsonSigns601

I wouldn't get windows 8 unless it came free and they sent a tech to install it and compensated me for down time.

They should just call Windows 8, Windows Tablet.

particleman

I see windows 8 as possibly the biggest failure Microsoft has ever made. First off I personally hate the ribbon menu that was originally used in office. That is now in explorer (file explorer they call it now). My biggest complaint though by far is the invasion of the metrol UI. Again personally I don't like the metro look even from back in the Zune days and later on Windows phone.

All in all the general idea of making an OS that works on a tablet and PC both native is a disaster. That is the real root of the issue. When your mouse is supposed to act like your fingers is where metro falls flat. Worse yet is the incredibly confusing mess that is windows apps vs. Metro apps. They aren't the same and metro apps are a joke on the pc. They have no windows controls and are essentially full screen. It is really easy to goto the start menu and find yourself in the metro version of IE rather than the windows version which should never be allowed to happen. Those of us with dual or triple monitors also see pretty quickly the failure that is the charms bar. You have to hover your mouse very carefully to get it to even show up.

There has also been a pretty good fuss about how to turn off windows 8. Shutting down your computer is not very intuitive it is buried back in the options menu now LOL.

CES020

Shutting down your computer is not very intuitive it is buried back in the options menu now LOL.

That's funny, I can't find any option menu's! No "control panel" stuff, no nothing. I'm a computer nerd to some degree, not so much in keeping up with everything new, but just been using computers a long time and I honestly think W8 is a mystery to me. After posting this thread, I went back and went into it to see if I was missing something obvious. I honestly can't find any settings, no nothing. I'm sure a google search would fix that, but from a user standpoint, I can't figure it out. I went into "Desktop" and I couldn't figure out how to get back to the start area.

Man, if this is what it's going to be like in the final release, people are going to hand them their head on a platter.

What a confusing OS.

choucove

Wow the Windows 8 debate, how I wish Microsoft was willing to listen to "Us" the customers on this one.

We have been working around with Windows 8 for the last couple of months. In fact, I recently purchased an HP 21.5" LED multi-touch monitor for using touch interface with testing Windows 8 in that manner. So far, I'm very disappointed, and this is coming from a few different people in our office, tech people and non-technical customers alike, who are just flat out frustrated by it.

On our touch monitor, even though it is incredibly accurate and great to use, I can NEVER get the charms bar (where you can actually go to shut down the computer properly) nor the Start window area on the other corner of the screen to come up. Pretty much Microsoft failed at making this thing focused for touch devices if a 21.5" widescreen touch device doesn't have enough resolution and accuracy to bring up those corners properly without having to go to a normal keyboard and mouse to be able to bring up the start menu or shut down your system!

The Metro UI, as it will always be referred to even if Microsoft has moved away from that moniker, I think is a good move for Microsoft in trying to unify their interface and platform across a range of devices. However, users of traditional desktops still will find working with this interface very confusing and limiting as well, so they shouldn't be FORCED to operate within it constantly, which you do have to regularly. Additionally, programs that run within the Metro UI separately from desktop applications (i.e. Internet Explorer) are going to be a terrible pain for people. All of these apps continue to run in the background even when you somehow figure out a way of getting out of that app! And yes, trying sometimes to figure out how to get out of them is a pain because there is no Close, there is no Minimize, no way to move it off the screen really. This means a ton of system resources are slowly going to get chewed up running in the background that people don't know about. This results in a slower computer and even stability issues.

With Windows 7 and other previous version of Windows we can disable boot-time programs running in the background with several different tools to help optimize efficiency and give the best performance possible, but with Windows 8 it seems like they've put an end to this because even if you remove the apps from boot-time startup with usual means like msconfig, there are so many other ways that several apps will automatically start up running in the background. You're stuck with them, even when you go through the means to actually close them.

For me as a computer technician, I can understand some of the choices that Microsoft has made in their designing a "universal" operating system experience across all their product lines, but I think they are going to lose more money than they ever could have imagined with Windows 8 because they are completely foresaking their largest customer segment - normal, simple, desktop users like home and business users - in an attempt to make things more "pretty" with their other consumer lines like Windows Phone and XBox. I feel that steps Microsoft has taken to disable features or steps that would make Windows 8 more friendly for normal desktop usage is just absurd and too much like a dictatorship trying to push us towards doing and thinking all in a new more limited way for the sake of selling more of their other products.

Finally, I think one of the most frustrating things for me about Windows 8, besides the invasion of privacy that is SmartScreen (read TomsHardware about this feature) is that everything from the Control Panel, to shutting down, to finding a way to access the Windows Explorer to view your files, all takes at LEAST one additional step that wasn't there before, often times two or three additional steps. Wasn't the point of this redesign to make things easier? Then why should it take having to call up Microsoft customer service, a GPS, a goat, and an overnight bag to be able to explore your entire computer and finally discover your way to finding the Shut Down button on your operating system?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
:thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• history_and_present.jpg
    history_and_present.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 92