• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows no longer recognizes Edge

paul luszcz

We've been running a Gerber Edge on the same Windows PC for years. Today the PC doesn't recognizes the Edge. From GSPlot we get a blinking error message requiring us to "terminate" or "restart" (which seem to have the effect to me). When I reboot the PC I get a "Found New Hardware" wizard, asking us to load or find the software online. I probably loaded Omega on this computer in 2001 and only remember loading drivers using Omega's setup function.

Any ideas on how to correct this?

Tony Teveris

What version of Omega?
What version of Windows?
What Edge - I or II?
Are you using the parallel cable or USB to Parallel?

When it says new hardware does it tell you What?

Have you done Windows updates?

paul luszcz

Tony,

Glad to hear from you.

I'm sure Windows ran an update that I didn't need or want. All our other computers are Macs, so I'm a bit lost on PCs.

I just swapped our Edge II for an Edge LE that we also have but haven't been using and the LE works. Windows XP is looking for the drivers for a Gerber Edge II. It has no such problem finding the LE.

I think the problem is that when we purchased the Edge II (second hand), we simply unplugged our LE and plugged in our Edge II. I added the device through Omega 2.5 and everything worked fine. The first I knew there was a problem with our setup was when I manually selected Edge II from the device list and got a message that "Gerber Edge II requires an ECP (I think) parallel port and there is no such port on our PC". We had been successfully running the Edge II using the Edge LE driver.

Today for the first time I got the symptoms I described above. No matter what I do in Omega, including deleting the Edge II and selecting the Edge LE in device manager, I either get the communications failure in GSPlot or the "Windows has found new hardware" and can't find drivers for the Edge II.

I now have the LE running succesfully and wonder if I can now switch over to the II as I did originally.

Our PC is 13 years old and it is my intention to upgrade to Omega 5.0 and get a new Mac running Windows as an upgrade path but I'm not ready to do that just yet.

I'd like to get the Edge II running again because the LE has one dead pixel.

Any advice?