• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows Surface Studio... Thoughts?

Chasez

So I'm a big fan of the Microsoft surface series (Owned surface pro 3 and now surface book). They have a lot of pros about them and for a laptop/tablet they're great. I'm a big fan that you can get the i7 processors with a large amount of RAM (HD space not an issue as I carry around an external HD which gets backed up on server weekly). Only thing is they are very expensive for what they are when you could get something comparable/better from another manufacturer for cheaper. With my surface book I can run Illustrator and Photoshop simultaneously working on couple GB files with no performance issues what so ever. Only downside is it's stuck to a small screen so I found the Slide n Joy which is an expandable screen for laptops which looks great, but again is fairly pricey but would be a great add on to the surface book.

With the new surface studio coming out next year, wondering what everyone's thoughts are on it. For the top model its almost $5k which is getting ridiculous, but yet I'm still intrigued and want it ha ha (stupid I know).

Microsoft Surface Studio

Chaz

jayhawksigns

I don't like buying all-in-ones. From what I read, you can't upgrade or change the cpu or ram . Something goes out, the whole system is down and you can't just order a new part from Newegg or Best Buy. Looks nice, but no way am I even considering buying one.

oksigns

So I'm a big fan of the Microsoft surface series (Owned surface pro 3 and now surface book). They have a lot of pros about them and for a laptop/tablet they're great. I'm a big fan that you can get the i7 processors with a large amount of RAM (HD space not an issue as I carry around an external HD which gets backed up on server weekly). Only thing is they are very expensive for what they are when you could get something comparable/better from another manufacturer for cheaper. With my surface book I can run Illustrator and Photoshop simultaneously working on couple GB files with no performance issues what so ever. Only downside is it's stuck to a small screen so I found the Slide n Joy which is an expandable screen for laptops which looks great, but again is fairly pricey but would be a great add on to the surface book.

With the new surface studio coming out next year, wondering what everyone's thoughts are on it. For the top model its almost $5k which is getting ridiculous, but yet I'm still intrigued and want it ha ha (stupid I know).

Microsoft Surface Studio

Chaz

The label. All-in-One kills it for me. We've seen that and been there. We know PC's are ubiquitous with flexibility. I see this as MS positioning themselves near Apple.

I am quite content with my Cintiq display and dual monitors that are well below that 5k mark.

The truth is, the Surface Studio still packs a paltry laptop grade i7 processor for WORKSTATION applications. Pass.

WildWestDesigns

Get what you ultimately can afford and want to use.

This is the biggest thing right here. As long as you are happy and get usefulness out of your purchase, that's all that counts.

I personally don't like all in ones. A Mac all in one is what caused my first foray into Macs since the 80s, early 90s a failed one. I'm not actually a fan of the Surface Pros (my dad has one and he really likes it). I prefer the Cintiq Companion. But that's me.

If you can afford it, it fits your needs and since this would be for business, if you derive usefulness out of it and make money using it, get it. It really isn't going to matter otherwise. Enjoy it.

untitled

Those Slide n Joy monitors are amazing, however I never actually use my Surface Book as a laptop. The majority of the time I use it as a second computer hooked up to a monitor and keyboard that is hooked up to a desktop as well and when I need it I just change the source on the monitor. Even my original Surface Pro sits at a monitor, mouse and keyboard to be used that way.

As for the Surface Studio, it does look interesting and I wouldn't mind trying one out but I don't think I would ever spend the money on it. I never actually use the pen on my Surface Book so I doubt I will start on a desktop computer. I have never found it to be useful in Illustrator and I find it's a lot of wasted movement to go from keyboard to touch screen to mouse to make it more efficient. From what I have seen as well from the little wheel I personally don't see much use. But then again if I started using it I may change my mind. I am an all keyboard user so if the wheel made things faster then that would be awesome.

For the price I know you can definitely build a better desktop system and have a bigger 4k monitor for less money. So really unless you are really going to use the touch capabilities I don't think it's worth it. And yes I have realized that I probably didn't need to spend as much as I did on the top end Surface Book. But it's pretty to look at lol.