• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows update - anniversary edition

OldPaint

is the network connection still able to be disabled??? or how the computer hooks up to internet....in 7 you can disable it.......

AF

you could block the production computer from reaching out to the Windows update server at the switch so that all other network and Internet functionality remains.

visual800

here is my question, why would indows diable your ability to NOT accept updates? Think about that for a few. There is an angle and there is a reason they WANT you to update.

for years I have screaming updates are pointless. for years Ive run computers with no updates. I went all the way thru Windows XP, and 4-5years now on Windows 7 no issues no problems, no security vulnerabilities and all that other BS they spook you with.

Think about that for a sec, sounds a little eery doesnt it

WildWestDesigns

here is my question, why would indows diable your ability to NOT accept updates? Think about that for a few. There is an angle and there is a reason they WANT you to update.

There is always an angle. Particularly when it's so heavy handed in one direction.

for years I have screaming updates are pointless. for years Ive run computers with no updates. I went all the way thru Windows XP, and 4-5years now on Windows 7 no issues no problems, no security vulnerabilities and all that other BS they spook you with.

Yes and no.

There are security holes. I can think of quite a few that were there with Win 98 (even though I never suffered them directly on my computers, my parents have). Those and others been well documented by other sources. Some security holes have been around since Win 95 (the same issue in all those operating systems and only was patched I think back in 2014, that's a long time, who knows how many others are around like that? This would also mean that all those Windows systems you ran had this exploit.).

Nothing is ever going to be perfect right out of the gate. My mom was a programmer many moons ago and she said that no matter how much things were tested before they went public, there were always issues found. Combinations that weren't thought of etc. So to think that there aren't going to be bugs to be exploited, I wouldn't advise that. Now, it's a non issue if it's not going to be connected to a network, but it's still there.

I've run a Win 7 computer for about 5 yrs now before I switched it over to Fedora. No antivirus, no updates. Ran fine. No issues. Would I advocate that? Certainly not. Certainly not in a business environment. This rig was just a gaming rig. Even if it doesn't directly have malware affecting, it could still be a typhoid mary and you would never know it.

Now, the biggest thing, is what is in those updates and are they really patching bugs and/or adding something else?

Now, my next question for you is, do you have anti-virus/malware on yours?

If you do, then there is a small belief that there are security vulnerabilities. If there truly wasn't, why invest in anti-virus/malware unless there were vulnerabilities that could be exploited?

For a computer that isn't going to be connected to the internet, absolutely no reason to need to update. If any exploit is going to happen, it's going to happen by you directly or someone physically at the terminal. One of the big reasons why I advocate not having computers online when they are tied to production work. Those computers that are online for communication purposes are separate from the production network and all files etc that are sent are scanned before entering in the production network.

OldPaint

iam guessing that even in WIN 10 YOU CAN STILL GET INTO THE BIOS. and i know in ther you turn on/off most of the things on the m/b. so turn off the ability of the computer to to startup the INTERNET CONNECTION....... problem solved.

WildWestDesigns

iam guessing that even in WIN 10 YOU CAN STILL GET INTO THE BIOS. and i know in ther you turn on/off most of the things on the m/b. so turn off the ability of the computer to to startup the INTERNET CONNECTION....... problem solved.

I guess you could always mess with the DNS and Default gateway to leave LAN good, but disable internet.

TammieH

LOL

A lot of these arguments sound like me (perhaps a lot of us) in the late 80's, how can you make nice creative signs on a gosh durn computer?

What? They think they are going to replace us sign painters?:ROFLMAO:

My, aren't we afraid of change!

oksigns

Just need to vent. Came in this morning, and couldnt access files on my rip computer. Go over to the pc, and it looks different. I didnt think anything of it, until i noticed Rasterlink wasnt open, and once opened it didnt see my printer. So, i uninstall printer, and try to detect again. Nope. Get a different usb cable, nope.

Look, and lo and behold, windows update installed a anniversary edition of windows last night. Ive got about 4 hours to get 300 sq ft of banner produced, and I can do nothing thanks to windows update. Im currently erolling back to a "previous build" - which windows 10 isnt telling me what that is... and crossing my fingers that things will work again. after this mess, im going back to windows 7 and never looking back. Windows 10 has been the biggest piece of junk software ever pushed onto the public. I have had nothing but problems with it. My old print server pc sat with a basic windows 7 build for 6 years and never had a single issue. I took it off of the internet and probably went years without ever rebooting it... absolute garbage.

write a letter to the EFF and hope one day M$ gets their come-up-ins. I hear this W10 stuff everyday from businesses. Class action lawsuits will be a thing, I promise.

WildWestDesigns

write a letter to the EFF and hope one day M$ gets their come-up-ins. I hear this W10 stuff everyday from businesses. Class action lawsuits will be a thing, I promise.

One of my tech friends and I were talking about this.

He either figures that there is going to be some type of action against MS, since they have actually removed functionality from Win 10 Pro that people more then likely paid the price to get Pro in order to have said functionality. Think of the recent Sony Playstation action.

Or they are going to have another update that reverses what was done.

LOL

A lot of these arguments sound like me (perhaps a lot of us) in the late 80's, how can you make nice creative signs on a gosh durn computer?

What? They think they are going to replace us sign painters?:ROFLMAO:

My, aren't we afraid of change!

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

I love change, tech changed a lot during my formative years in the 80s and 90s.

But not all change is good or for the better.

But, you do have to change with the times or the times change you.