Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions windshield lettering

Discussion in 'Vehicle Graphics' started by BillyBoy86, Feb 6, 2019.

1. BillyBoy86

BillyBoy86 Member

May 26, 2015
    South Heights, PA
    I have a client who wants a line of text across the top of the windshield for their new truck - 2019 f350.

i've done this before, and have created my own template to set up the file, but i was wondering if anyone knows if i can find a template somewhere for the windshield? reason being, it's quite a drive each way to the client and i'm trying to save myself a trip.

Thanks!

Tags:
  2. De.signs Nanaimo

De.signs Nanaimo Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Nanaimo
    What about measuring at your local Ford dealership? Give them a call and ask if you can drop by for a measurement, it has worked for me before!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

I am guessing you want a template to pre-curve the lettering? As long as you don't use connected script, you can cut your lettering in a straight line and then cut between the letters from the bottom, 1/2" short of the top, and tape along the contour at the top of the windshield. Then you stick them one letter at a time. Faster than fiddling with trying to match the curve in the computer.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. BillyBoy86

BillyBoy86 Member

May 26, 2015
    South Heights, PA
    yeah that was pretty much my plan. i just hate doing it that way, haha. last time i did something like this, i had the truck on site for several days, so i just traced my own template and went from there. easy.

5. unclebun

It takes us about 15 minutes to install a straight one that way. Drawing a template, photographing it, scaling in the computer, warping the lettering to match takes longer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. KMC

KMC Graphic Artist

Feb 12, 2018
    Alberta
    Exactly this, and it saves time and media cutting it in a straight line and then doing the splice method

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA

How many here, remember the old days of real cut & paste with press type ?? First time I did that, thought I was a magician, until the head speedball writer told me, that's how it's done in the newspaper and just about anywhere else you need arched text. Took the wind, right outta my sails.

• Like Like x 2
  8. unclebun

In high school we laid out the yearbook and the school newspaper that way. Real pasteups. We were making camera-ready art that was really going to go under a camera.

• Like Like x 1
  9. decalman

decalman Active Member

Sep 2, 2012
    phoenix
    You can just take a stab in the dark and give it a little curve usually it works out okay.

After all we're not tuning a piano here..... we're just putting on a sticka.

( that's my favorite cop out line..... " we're not tuning a piano)

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  10. jcskikus

jcskikus Owner, Designer & Installer

Jun 28, 2010
    Toms River, NJ
    I usually create a straight line (as best I can) above the windshield with painter's tape and measure the distance at 3 points from the line and recreate the arc in Flexi. I either place my text on the line or distort it to mimic the arc. It comes out very close to looking correct where only you'd know it was off. What looks like a smile, when applied, looks almost straight.

11. SIGNTIME

SIGNTIME Active Member

Aug 13, 2012
    NY
    I save a few 4'x1"-3" drops of acm for this, lay it across the windshield so the middle hits the top then measure how far from the top the ends are (usually around an inch) in illustrator put a guideline at the top of the text move it down that inch and use the warp arch tool till the top hits the guideline again.... most of the time its -7 arch.

12. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    See attached.

Attached Files:

13. BillyBoy86

BillyBoy86 Member

May 26, 2015
    South Heights, PA
    Actually finished the job today. used the method of cutting it straight and the cutting between the letters. applied one letter at a time. went fairly smooth

14. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I like happy endings.

15. BillyBoy86

BillyBoy86 Member

May 26, 2015
    South Heights, PA
    but of course, when I was done, the guy says "oh I forgot, the tint guy gave us a template to send you, but we forgot"

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1